TEAS Entrance Exam
The entrance exam for the College of Nursing is the Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS), which measures basic essential skills in the academic content area of reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. The test is intended for use primarily with adult nursing program applicants. The objectives assessed on the TEAS exam are those which nurse educators deemed most appropriate and relevant to measure entry level skills and abilities of nursing program applicants.
You will have 209 minutes to complete the exam which consists of the following four subtests:
- The READING subtest covers paragraph comprehension, passage comprehension, and inferences/conclusions. (64 minutes with 53 questions)
- The MATH subtest covers whole numbers, metric conversions, fractions and decimals, algebraic equations, percentages, and ratio/proportion. (54 minutes with 36 questions)
- The SCIENCE portion of the exam covers science reasoning, science knowledge, biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology, basic physical principles, and general science. (63 minutes with 53 questions)
- The ENGLISH subtest measures knowledge punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, contextual words, and spelling. (28 minutes with 28 questions)
Cost of Test
The cost of the test is $115. (Some testing centers may offer the test at a lower cost.)
Minimum Test Score
- Applicants must earn a 64% or higher on EACH SECTION of the exam in order to be considered for admission into upper-division nursing. Please note that it is at the discretion of the College of Nursing to change the minimum composite score for any future application periods.
How to Apply for the ATI TEAS
- Create an ATI Account (pdf)
- How to Register for a TEAS Assessment OR How to Register for the TEAS Test at PSI (pdf)
- Students may take the exam at any location supported by ATI.
- How to Locate Testing Sites Prior to Registering (pdf)
The test must be taken and scores received by the College of Nursing prior to February 1 for fall admission and August 15 for spring admission. There is no limit on the number of attempts allowed per admission cycle nor is there a required remediation time between attempts. The College of Nursing, however, will only consider the scores on the most recent attempt of the exam (as received by TWU) for purposes of admission. All section scores on the most recent attempt of the exam must be passing at 64% or higher to be eligible for consideration.
Frequently Asked Questions
What ID should I use when signing into the test?
Use TWU + last four (4) digits of your social security number (example: TWU2222)
Who do I contact if I encounter problems with registering for the exam or cannot find a test location in my area?
You will need to contact ATI Testing at 800-667-7531.
Will the College of Nursing accept TEAS scores taken prior to April 1, 2010?
Will the College of Nursing accept TEAS scores taken for other institutions?
Yes. The student must contact ATI and have them send a transcript of their test scores to the TWU College of Nursing, Denton, Texas.
Will the College of Nursing accept hard copies of the TEAS scores?
If the student took the exam Fall 2013 but plans on applying for a future admission period, are scores still valid?
Yes, scores do not have an expiration date. As long as TWU requires the TEAS and the scores meet the minimum eligibility for admission at the time the student is applying, they may continue to be used for future semesters. TEAS V scores remain valid; however, TEAS 3.0 and 4.0 are not accepted.
page updated 11/30/2016 11:27 AM