TEAS V Entrance Exam
The entrance exam for the College of Nursing is the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) V which measures basic essential skills in the academic content area of reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. The test is intended for use primarily with adult nursing program applicants. The objectives asessed on the TEAS V exam are those which nurse educators deemed most appropriate and relevant to measure entry level skills and abilities of nursing program applicants.
You will have 209 minutes to complete the exam which consists of the following four subtests:
- The READING subtest covers paragraph comprehension, passage comprehension, and inferences/conclusions. (58 minutes with 48 questions)
- The MATH subtest covers whole numbers, metric conversions, fractions and decimals, algebraic equations, percentages, and ratio/proportion. (51 minutes with 34 questions)
- The SCIENCE portion of the exam covers science reasoning, science knowledge, biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology, basic physical principles, and general science. (66 minutes with 54 questions)
- The ENGLISH subtest measures knowledge punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, contextual words, and spelling. (34 minutes with 34 questions)
Cost of Test
The cost of the test is $110.
Minimum Test Score
- The minimum composite exam score that will be accepted is 64%. Please note that it is at the discretion of the College of Nursing to change the minimum composite score for any future application periods.
How to Apply for the TEAS V
- Create an ATI Account (pdf)
- Register for the TEAS V Test via PSI (formerly Pearson Vue) (pdf)
- How to Locate Testing Sites Prior to Registering (pdf)
The test must be taken and scores received by the College of Nursing prior to February 1st for fall admission and September 1st for spring admission. Students may only take the test once per application period. If the test is taken twice in the same application period, we will use the first score only. If the test is taken in two separate application periods, we will use only the most recent score (the one taken right before deadline for which you are applying).
Brochure & Study Guides
Customized Review - TEAS
Duration: 5 minutes
Description: How to create a Customized Review based on your performance of a previously taken TEAS assessment.
Streaming recording link: https://atitesting.webex.com/atitesting/ldr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=3332583&rKey=185fffbaf136c360
Download recording link: https://atitesting.webex.com/atitesting/lsr.php?AT=dw&SP=MC&rID=3332583&rKey=15a803d3972714fa
After June 30, 2011, the TEAS V testing will be done at PSI Testing Centers in place of Pearson Vue Testing Centers.
Why the switch? PSI has more test locations, students can see availability of test dates, and they’ll be required to provide only one form of identification at the test site.
What if I have already registered for the TEAS? Any students who have registered and are scheduled to test on or before June 30 will test at their designated Pearson VUE site. Students will also have the option to reschedule a test date with Pearson VUE on or before June 30, if they prefer. Any students who have registered and are scheduled to test after June 30 will be contacted individually by PSI beginning May 27 to make arrangements for scheduling their TEAS exam at a PSI test site. To contact PSI, call 1-800-733-9267 or visit online at www.psiexams.com.
What if I haven’t registered yet? The process will be seamless for new students registering for TEAS. They will register on atitesting.com for TEAS at Pearson VUE through June 23. On June 24, they will register on atitesting.com for TEAS at PSI (formerly Pearson VUE).
Frequently Asked Questions
What ID should I use when signing into the test?
Use TWU + last four (4) digits of your social security number (example: TWU2222)
Who do I contact if I encounter problems with registering for the exam or cannot find a test location in my area?
You will need to contact ATI Testing at 800-667-7531.
Will the College of Nursing accept TEAS V scores taken prior to April 1, 2010?
Will the College of Nursing accept TEAS V scores taken for other institutions?
Yes, as long as the test was taken at a PSI Test Center. The student must contact ATI and have them send a transcript of their test scores to the TWU College of Nursing, Denton, Texas.
Will the College of Nursing accept hard copies of the TEAS V scores?
If the student takes the exam Fall 2010 but plans on applying for Fall 2011 will scores still be valid?
Yes, as long as they do not repeat the test before applying.
page updated 5/17/2013 3:47 PM