skip to content

About the Program

TWU's music therapy program, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, is the oldest ongoing program in Texas and one of the oldest in the country. The music therapy program offers undergraduate and graduate studies leading to the Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy and the Master of Arts in Music (emphasis in Music Therapy). A dual degree, combining the MS in Counseling and MA in Music with emphasis in Music Therapy, is also available.

Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy

The Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy requires 133 semester hours. It includes clinical experience, research studies, and a core of basic music, psychology, special education, and biology studies. Students interested in transferring from community colleges should contact the Coordinator of Music Therapy Studies ( for information about which courses are required within the Texas Core Curriculum to avoid taking courses that, although they count as part of the state core curriculum, will not count in the undergraduate music therapy degree. Transfer students should plan to enter TWU as sophomores, rather than waiting until they have an associate’s degree, because the correct course sequence takes a minimum of five semesters (not including summers), followed by a 6-month internship. For more information about the undergraduate music therapy program, contact Dr. Michael Zanders (, Coordinator of Music Therapy Studies.

Master of Arts in Music (Emphasis in Music Therapy)

The Master of Arts in Music degree with emphasis in Music Therapy is available to students holding a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in music therapy. This degree consists of 36 semester hours and includes studies in music therapy philosophy, multicultural music therapy, research, music, and a wide selection of electives. For more information about the graduate music therapy program, contact Dr. Nancy Hadsell (, professor, Music Therapy.

Dual Degree Program in Music Therapy and Counseling (MA in Music with Emphasis in Music Therapy and MS in Counseling and Development)

Texas Woman’s University offers the dual degree program in Music therapy and counseling. The student who completes this degree will receive not only a master’s degree in both fields but will be eligible to apply for licensure as a professional counselor in Texas (LPC). For the entering student who is already a music therapist this program takes about 3 years. The graduate curriculum is 64 semester hours for the dual program. For an entering student who is not a music therapist (i.e., an equivalency student), this program will take about 4 years because of the undergraduate course requirements that must be completed (~ 50 semester hours of undergraduate credits). Students must be admitted separately to each department, although they can submit one application specifying their interest in the dual degree program. The Family Sciences department requires an in-person interview for admission to the counseling program. Interested students should contact Dr. Lamar Muro ( for information about the counseling component of the dual degree program.

Equivalency Only Program

Students holding a Bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited school may opt to complete an equivalency program to become music therapists without seeking the master’s degree.  This program requires students to complete all coursework in the undergraduate degree, including a 6-month internship. Coursework completed previously does not need to be repeated unless competency in specific areas (e.g., applied music, voice, keyboard, music theory, and music history) has not been maintained. Competency is established through the successful completion of examinations.  Individualized equivalency plans are devised for each student based on previous coursework and competency levels. Students whose Bachelor’s degree is not in music will be required to complete a second Bachelor’s degree.  Relevant coursework taken previously need not be repeated if competency has been maintained (e.g., applied music, music theory, music history, voice, and keyboard). For more information about the equivalency only music therapy program, contact Dr. Michael Zanders (, Coordinator of Music Therapy Studies.

Graduate Equivalency program

A student who has completed a Bachelor’s degree with a major in music from an accredited school can apply for the graduate equivalency program to become a music therapist and complete a master’s degree. In this program students complete all the undergraduate coursework they have not already taken as well as all the AMTA competencies and the clinical internship (about 50 semester hours) in addition to the 36-hour master’s degree program. These programs are completed concurrently intertwining graduate and undergraduate coursework as appropriate for the course sequence. The six month music therapy internship must be completed a minimum of one semester prior to graduation because the graduate practicum must be scheduled after the internship. This graduate equivalency program generally take about 3 years. Undergraduate coursework is offered during the day throughout the week (M-Th) while much of the graduate coursework is offered in the evenings. For more information about the graduate/equivalency program in music therapy, contact Dr. Michael Zanders (, Coordinator of Music Therapy Studies.

Student Association for Music Therapy (SAMT)

Members of the Student Association for Music Therapy engage in educational and promotional activities in the field of music therapy. Members also provide service to the community and participate in national conventions. All music therapy students- undergraduates, graduates, graduate equivalency, and dual degree are welcome as members of SAMT.

Music Therapy Advisors

Dr. Michael Zanders, Coordinator of Music Therapy, (940) 898-2500,
Dr. Nicki Cohen, (940) 898-2523,
Dr. Nancy Hadsell, (940) 898-2514,

page last updated 3/24/2017 11:59 AM