The Mission of the WASP:
The mission of the WASP Archive is to honor the first female military pilots, tell their story of service, bravery, and heroism to their country, and celebrate the place women in aviation occupy today, tomorrow, and yesterday for generations to come.
The Goals of the WASP Archive at Texas Woman’s University include:
- Enhance the history and legacy of the WASP for future generations.
- Continuous and active promotion of the Women Airforce Service Pilots
- Improve digital access to the WASP history
- Strengthen resources to better carry out the needs of researchers
- Strengthen and preserve the collection and beyond traditional archival services
The WASP Archive at Work:
Donated to the Woman’s Collection at Texas Woman’s University in 1992, the WASP Archive has served over 15,000 researchers to date. Users of the collection include students of all ages, filmmakers, journalists, documentarians, scholars, authors, scholars, historians, and aviation enthusiasts. Evidence of growth in the WASP Archive includes:
- Developed WASP Digital Archive consisting of 5,000 digitally accessible historic and one-of-a-kind documents and images
- 1200 biographical files on WASP and related personnel
- WASP traveling exhibit
- Publish biannual newsletter
- Collected 700+ oral histories
- 600+ collections of records, papers, and memorabilia of individual WASP
- Maintain roster and membership rolls
Realizing the Goal:
Gifts to the Texas Woman’s University Endowment are fully tax deductible under Secion 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
There are many ways that you can support the preservation of the WASP legacy including gifts (cash, stocks, bonds, and mutual funds), deferred planned gifts, bequest in your will, charitable remainder trust, gift annuity, gifts of retirement benefits, life estate, and insurance policies.
All donations and checks should be made payable to the TWU Foundation with WASP Endowment written in the memo line and mailed to:
Texas Woman’s University
Attn: WASP Archive
PO Box 425528
Denton, TX 76204-5528
For questions about the WASP Endowment, contact:
Coordinator of the Woman’s Collection
The University of Kansas and Robert J. Dole Institute of Politics
are proud sponsors of the TWU Wasp Webpages.
page last updated 5/23/2016 2:39 PM