- 2012, Ph.D. in Kinesiology, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
- 2009, M.S. in Health and Human Performance, Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, KS
- 2006, M.S. in Spanish Language Education, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 1999, Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- 1992, M.A. in Religion, Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, OK
- 1987, B.A. in American Studies, Southwestern University, Georgetown, TX.
- 2012-present: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Kinesiology, Texas Woman’s University, Denton, TX
- 2010-2012: Associate Professor, School of Physical Education, Sport, and Exercise Science, Bacone College, Muskogee, OK
- 2005-2009: Assistant Professor, Modern Languages, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, OK
- 2002-2005: Assistant Professor, Health and Human Performance, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA
- 2000-2002: Technology Grant Coordinator, St. Gregory’s University, Shawnee, OK
- The effects of coach feedback on athletic performance
- Effective youth sport coaching in tactical and technical skills
- Using the teaching games for understanding (TGfU approach) in coaching in the adapted physical education environment.
Recent Publications/ Presentations
Published Articles in Journals
Mann, M. D., Gorman, D., & Lirgg, K. (2014). Coach Feedback and the Contingent Relationship to Athlete Performance. Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, 2014 (1), 33-57.
American Press. Boston, MA.
Accepted Articles in Journals
Mann, M. D. (in press, 2014). Coaching along the Self Determination Continuum. Journal of Athlete Centered Coaching.
Mann, M. D. (in press, 2014). Using Database Technology to Assist in Coaching Tactical Skills. Journal of Coaching Action Research Excellence.
Articles in Proceedings
Mann, M. D. (2014). The Relationship Between Fitness and Motivation to Learn Among College Students. Hawaii International Conference on Education, 12 (1), 1515-1523. [Status: Published] [Scope: International]
Mann, M. D. & Gorman, D. (2013). Systematic Observation of Coach Feedback. Hawaii International Conference on Education, 11 (1), 3816-3830. [Status: Published] [Scope: International]
Davis, R. & Mann, M. D. (2014, June). Coaching Athletes with Disabilities: Addressing the Office of Civil Rights Dear Colleague Letter. AAHPERD National Coaching Conference, Washington D.C., District of Columbia. [Status: Accepted]
Mann, M. D. (2014, January). The Relationship Between Fitness and Motivation to Learn Among College Students. Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii. [Status: Presented]
Mann, M. D. & Gorman, D. (2013, January). Systematic Observation of Coach Feedback in Elite Youth Volleyball. Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii. [Status: Presented]
Mann, M. D. (2013, April). Coach Feedback and the Contingent Relationship to Athlete Performance. North Louisiana Behavioral and Social Sciences Conference, Ruston, Louisiana. [Status: Presented]
Mann, M. D. (2013, August). Using Padlet.Com for Rich, Online, Synchronous, Real-time Collaboration. TWU Teaching and Learning Symposium, Denton, Texas. [Status: Presented]
Mann, M. D. (1997, May). Using Interaction/IP for web based education. NAU/Web 97 Conference, Flagstaff, Arizona. [Status: Presented]
2013: PasStat. This software is authored by M.D. Mann. It is licensed under the Google Chrome Store, and refereed by Google, Inc.. PasStat has been used to record passing stats in the game of volleyball. PasStat analyzes passing trends in real time, and measures "ball control" comparing serve receive passing score values for both winning and losing points. URL: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/passtat.
Scholarly Works in Progress
Mann, M. (2014). "Tracking First Ball Passing and its' Relationship to Sport Motivation for Primary Passers in NCAA D1 Volleyball," targeted for AAHPERD National Coaching Conference.
Mann, M. D. (2014). "The Effect of Athlete Centered Coaching Strategies on the Motivation of Collegiate Volleyball Players," targeted for Education Inquiry.
Description: Targeted Journal: Education Inquiry, an international peer reviewed journal that analyzes didactics and pedagogy from a variety of methodological and theoretical approaches. <http://www.education-inquiry.net/>
Advanced Research in Kinesiology (KINS6811)
Coaching Tactical Skills (KINS5303)
Organization and Administration for Effective Team Management (KINS5253)
Professional Affiliation (KINS5123)
Special Topics: Paralympic Coaching Practicum, Case Analysis, International Coaching Practicum (KINS5903)
Sport Psychology (KINS5263)
Technical Skills Analysis (KINS5293)
Theory of Coaching (KINS5203)
Practicum in Coaching (KINS3803)
- 19 years of volleyball club coaching experience (1995- present) and has been either an assistant or head coach at the high school and collegiate level since 1988.
- Mann has assisted Southern Nazarene University (1989), Redlands Community College (1999), and Nicholls State University (2003) in going to their respective NAIA, NJCAA, and NCAA division 1 National Volleyball Tournaments. In 2001, Mann was the head coach at St. Gregory's University, where he led his team to a 27-13 record, and a trip to the NAIA Regional Finals. In 2003 and 2004, Mann served as an assistant coach at E.D. White Catholic High School in Louisiana and helped lead the team to the AAA state finals two years in a row.
- Volunteer Assistant Volleyball Coach at the University of Tulsa (2008-2014). Tulsa has made two straight NCAA tournament appearances and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2010 and 2011.
- Mann is the director of the Summit Institute, an organization that provides sports equipment, sport clinics, and housing improvement for community leaders in Latin America. The Summit Institute also provides Educational Awards to girls youth sport coaches in the USA.
page last updated 4/22/2016 12:44 PM