skip to content


Q. I am filling out the application on ApplyTexas and I do not have a Social Security number. What should I do?

A. Contact the Office of Admissions or call 940-898-3188.

Q. What are the Admission requirements to TWU?
A. For complete information regarding Admission requirements (ie, TOEFL, GRE, THEA or specific program requirements) please email Admissions or call 940-898-3188.

Q. Is Texas Woman's University only for women or can male students apply?
A. Although primarily for women, Texas Woman's University is a public, co-educational university that fully opened its doors to male students in 1995.

Q. I was born in another country. Am I considered an international student?
A. Generally, any student who is not a United States citizen or who does not hold a Permanent Resident Alien card is classified as an international student.

Q. How much funding will I need to show to receive an I-20 from TWU?
A. Currently, an international undergraduate student will need to show funds of at least $32,190, which includes non-resident tuition, fees, room and board, health insurance, living expenses and books for one academic year. An international graduate student will need to show funds of at least $31,478, which includes non-resident tuition, fees, room and board, health insurance, living expenses and books for one academic year.

Q. I live in Texas and pay U.S. taxes. Do I have to pay the non-resident tuition?
A. Some students in a non-immigrant status, such as H-1, H-4, and L-2, may be able to qualify for in-state tuition - even though they are considered international students. If you have a question about your tuition classification, please contact the Registrar's office at 940-898-3036 and ask for a "Residency Questionnaire."

Q. I have a spouse and children, may I bring them with me to the U.S.?
A. Yes, but you will need to show additional funds of $4,000 for your spouse and $3,000 for each child.

Q. When will I receive my I-20?
A. After you apply through the TWU Admissions office and submit all required admission documents, your file will be reviewed by the Office of Admissions Processing. If you receive acceptance, a letter will be mailed to you and our office will receive a copy of this letter. We will then contact you by email regarding the documents needed to process the SEVIS I-20. Please refer to Admissions for deadlines for applying and issuing an I-20.

Q. When may I register for classes?
A. New and transfer international students may only register for classes AFTER they attend International Orientation.

Q. Do I have to enroll full-time?
A. Immigration regulations state that all international students in F-1 status (and most J-1 statuses) must enroll full-time each fall and spring semester. If you are a new student starting classes in the summer, you must enroll full-time. Students in other non-immigrant statuses do not have to enroll full-time.

Q. What is considered full-time?
A. Full-time enrollment is considered to be 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students.

Q. Does TWU offer financial aid for international students?
A. Yes, there is Financial Aid available for international students. Please go to Financial Aid for more information regarding aid for international students.

Q. What are the chances that I will receive a scholarship?
A. Scholarships are very competitive and cannot be relied on to finance your education.

Q. Does TWU offer housing for students?
A. Yes. There are 5 dormitories at the Denton campus. Housing is not available at TWU's Dallas or Houston campuses. For more information about living on campus, visit University Housing.

Q. Does TWU offer meal plans for students living on-campus?
A. Yes. The Denton campus offers a vast array of meal plans and dining facilities for students living on-campus. You can view current meal plan options and rates at Dining Services


Q. Does TWU offer internship opportunities to F-1 students?   

A. F-1 students can do internships if certain requirements are met. You must have maintained your present status for at least 1 year. You must also take a class along with the internship and request a Curricular Practical Training (CPT) I-20 from our office. Your advisor will need to sign the CPT paperwork verifying that the class goes along with the internship and that it is integral to your degree.

Q. I am a current student at TWU and I need to travel outside the United States; what do I need to do?

A. Complete a Travel Endorsement form and submit it with your I-20 to our office. Our DSO will sign (endorse) the third page of your I-20, which says that you may travel outside the country and return. The signature is good for one year. If your endorsement lines are full, please request a New I-20. If the year will be up while you are out of the country, you may request another signature. If you intend to renew your visa before your return, please contact us at 940-898-3338 for additional information.

Q. How can an F-1 student get a Social Security number?

A. Only F-1 students who have employment can obtain a Social Security number. Refer to the Social Security Checklist for the documents you will need to obtain a SS number.

Q. Can international students work while attending TWU?
A.  Yes. Generally, international students are allowed to work part-time (20 hours) on campus while enrolled in classes.  Assistantships for graduate students are available through the individual departments and in conjunction with the Graduate School.

Q: I need help filing my federal income tax return; can International Education help me with that?                                                                                                   

A. The Office of International Education is not qualified to assist you with your tax return. We recommend H&R Block for a personal tax consultant. Their Denton office is located at 1012 W. University, 940-387-7078. You can also use an online service called Glacier, which will help you complete your tax return.  

Q. How do I find out about Optional Practical Training (OPT) and when/how I can apply for it?

A. OIE conducts an OPT workshop each semester. You can also view the OPT information here. If you have additional questions after viewing it, you can contact our office for an advising appointment.

page last updated 1/31/2017 4:13 PM