skip to content


On Campus Employment

  • International Students are allowed to work on-campus 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes.
  • Employment and assistantships are not guaranteed and should not be considered as primary means of support.
  • To find a job on campus visit Career Services and/or contact a TWU department. 
  • For TWU Graduate, Graduate Research, or Graduate Teaching Assistantships visit Graduate School.
  • Apply for a U.S. Social Security Card (if you do not currently have a card). International Students must have a Social Security Card to be employed on campus.      
  • Print the Social Security Checklist for step by step instructions to be employed on-campus.
  • Print the Employer's Letter Sample Form and take to the hiring department to complete.
  • When applying for a Social Security Card, print and complete the Letter Request Form and bring to the International Education Office to request an Enrollment Verification letter.
  • Print and complete the Campus Employment Application for F1 Students and bring to the International Education office for verification.

Off-Campus Employment

  • Off-Campus Employment must be authorized PRIOR to beginning off-campus employment. Be sure to allow sufficient time for processing.
  • Curricular Practical Training – submit to OIE; allow at least 2 weeks for processing.
  • Optional Practical Training  I-20 Request Application and Document Checklist – OPT I-20 application submit to the Office of International Education; we will contact you when the OPT Request I-20 is completed. While you are waiting for the I-20 please print off the OPT Request for Employment Authorization (I-765), complete the I-765 and gather documents needed to submit to USCIS; bring to OIE to help with mailing; allow 3 months for processing.  
  • Economic Hardship – allow 4 months for processing. Please speak to the International Advisor.

page last updated 1/31/2017 4:13 PM