TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY
These guidelines have been created to assist supervisors with hiring and managing temporary employees.
Temporary employees are defined for this document as persons who are neither student employees nor individuals hired through an outside temporary agency.
Please review the TWU Staff Handbook for a definition of a temporary employee: Staff Handbook
Policy Reference: Hiring Temporary Non-Faculty employees 50.17 - (this policy is currently under review).
Note- while student assistant employee work assignments are considered temporary, they do not fall within the definition of temporary employees outlined in this document. For information regarding student assistant employees, please contact Career Services at 940-898-2950.
Recruiting and Hiring:
A Personnel Vacancy Form must be completed. See TWU HR Policy 50.02 for details concerning posting a vacant position.
If a candidate has already been selected, please write “Do Not Post” on the top of the PVF; otherwise the position will be posted on the HR website.
- The candidate selected for the temporary position must complete and submit an employment application and submit to the OHR (see “NOTE” on next bullet point) as soon as a job offer has been accepted.
- The hiring supervisor must send the Manager of Recruitment and Selection (X3518) in the Office of Human Resources the completed “Applicant Summary” form as soon as a hiring decision has been made. This form may be faxed to X3566.
NOTE – Please send the employment application(s) AND the Applicant Summary Form(s) to the Manager of Recruitment and Selection at the same time.
- Please contact Student Employment (Career Services) for information on recruiting student assistant employees.
After a Temporary is Hired:
- The temporary employee must complete payroll/new hire forms on the first day of employment. These forms are available in the OHR. All employees must show proof of identity and eligibility to work in the US. Please view I-9 instructions on New Hire Packet for documents that are acceptable for proof of identity and eligibility.
- The department must initiate an online PTF for Non-Academic Departments. The website for submitting an online PTF can be found at http://portal.twu.edu/ptf/default.asp. Academic Departments must submit a paper PTF to Academic Financial Services for processing. The paper PTF’s can be found on the payroll website at http://www.twu.edu/humanresources/payroll/instructions_for_PTF.htm.
- Request for university keys must be made to the Key Request Page. Information concerning university keys is located on the Facilities Management and Construction web site.
- The hiring department is responsible for orienting temporary employees regarding departmental call-in policy for absences and other appropriate departmental polices and guidelines.
- While temporary employees (including student assistant employees) are not usually entitled to benefits (see Benefits and Temporary Employees below) and are not covered by many TWU policies, they are entitled to a work environment free of sexual harassment and discrimination. All departmental guidelines concerning temporary employees should be consistent with TWU Policy 3.05 “Sexual Harassment” and Policy 3.04 “Non-Discrimination”. These polices are located in the Portal in the TWU Policy Manual and on the OHR website.
- Supervisors must not create documents or guidelines that could create an implied contract with a temporary employee or make verbal agreements or promises that would violate the University’s “Employment At-Will” policy 3.13.
- If concerns with performance arise, the supervisor should consult with her/his department’s guidelines for handling temporary employees.
Time Sheets and Payroll:
- Time Sheet entry – Temporary employees are responsible for entering their hours on the Pioneer Portal. Once an employee has been entered into the Oracle system, they will be able to enter hours by going through Pioneer Portal, My Tools, and Hourly Timesheet. Please visit the Time Sheet Entry and Approval Tutorial to learn how to enter time worked.
The hours are due on the 15th of each month and are then approved by the supervisor. The employee will NOT be paid unless a time report is completed.
- Pay period for temporary employees - all employees are paid on a monthly basis. Paychecks are scheduled for distribution on the first working day of the month following the pay period.
Temporary (hourly) employees are paid from the 16th of the month through the 15th of the month.
- For additional information regarding temporary payroll questions, please visit the TWU OHR Payroll website.
Benefits and Temporary Employees:
- Temporary employees are not eligible for benefits. An employee is eligible for benefits if he/she has an assignment of at least 50% FTE or more and works at least 4 and ½ months.
Exiting Temporary Employees:
- A termination Personnel Transaction Form (PTF) must be completed for the employee by the employing department at the end of the work assignment or upon the employee’s resignation. For Non-Academic Departments use online processing and for Academic Departments use paper PTF’s and submit to Academic Financial Services for processing.
- If any University property has been issued to the temporary employee, the department must insure that the property is retuned to the appropriate University office (i.e., keys must be returned by the employee to the University Access Control Office).
- When a temporary assignment ends, the employee should complete an exit packet with the OHR. Packets are available in the OHR office or on-line Exiting Employee Guide and Forms.
- Temporary employees may be eligible for unemployment benefits upon the completion of their work assignment. The Texas Workforce Commission makes the benefits determination decision.
page last updated 2/22/2017 12:59 PM