What is Resnet?
University Housing's Resnet Internet service available in all halls. Resnet lets you connect your personal computer (when equipped with a 10/100BaseT Ethernet adapter) directly to TWU's data communications network, and through the university network, to the Internet. Resnet enables you to easily perform many tasks from your own room. There is no extra charge for the Resnet service.
Why Use Resnet?
- Exchange email
- Browse and publish information on the World Wide Web
- Access campus information, course registration, library catalogs and other databases
- Submit assignments to professors, confer with classmates, conduct research
- Participate in electronic groups (mailing lists and news groups)
- Download software patches etc.
- No phone line or modem is needed (No more busy signals!)
- Connections are multiple times faster than modems
- Access is immediate
- No additional Internet access provider is needed
- There are no time limits on how long you can remain connected
- Resnet staff is available to help set up your connection if necessary
Please have all Microsoft Windows updates complete before arriving at campus. While you computer is connected to the internet
at home, click on “Start > All Programs > Windows update”, then “Express scan” when connect to Microsoft, and install all updates.
TWU Symantec Antivirus
TWU Information Technology Services is proud to announce the availability of Symantec Antivirus Protection for all current Staff, Faculty, and Students. If you are a current staff, faculty, or student at Texas Woman's University you are eligible to download and install a single copy of Symantec Antivirus at no cost for your personal computer or laptop. Please note that Texas Woman's University cannot provide technical support for your personal computer(s).
You must supply:
- 10BaseT Ethernet adapter or transceiver (most are built-in on newer Macs)
- A 10/100 Base Ethernet patch cable, 25' recommended
Texas Woman's University and the Department of University Housing do not guarantee that your computer will work on the Resnet system. If needed the Resnet staff will, assist in configuring your system. Check with your Residence Hall front desk.
Your computer must be set up for DHCP to get an IP address.
Always use an anti-virus program! An anti-virus program is designed to protect your computer from possible virus infections. A computer without anti-virus software will become infected with viruses on a high speed network. Good anti-virus programs can be downloaded from www.Mcafee.com, www.Symantec.com., etc. Do not bring your computer to TWU with plans to attach to the network without an anti-virus program installed on your computer!
Many new viruses’ take advantage of defects in the Windows operating system. Virus’s and worms such as “Blaster” and its variants will infect a computer running Windows 2000 and XP as soon as it is connected to a high speed network if the proper Windows updates and patches are not installed.
Due to the fact that new Windows security issues are discovered very frequently, we are encouraging students to run Windows Update at least once a week.
Installing Critical Windows Updates in 5 Easy Steps
- Open Internet Explorer
- Type windowsupdate.microsoft.com in the address bar to get to the Windows Update site
- Please note that you can also access this web page by going to "Windows Update" in your start menu."
- Click the "Scan for updates" link, and your computer will be scanned.
- Click on "Review and install updates”.
- Click "Install Now" The install will run, and then you will be done! Pay attention to any messages you get during the process and follow the instructions.
What Is Spyware?
Most people are familiar with freeware, shareware, cookies, media players, interactive content, and file sharing. What they may not realize is that some of the aforementioned may contain code or components that allow the developers of these applications and tools to actually collect and disseminate information about those using them. They can track your surfing habits, abuse your Internet connection by sending this data to a third party, profile your shopping preferences, hijack your browser start page or pages, alter important system files, and can do this without your knowledge or permission. The security and privacy implications of these exploits should be quite obvious and undesirable on any system or network!
- A very good program called Ad-Aware to remove spyware is free from the LavaSoft.
- Another very highly rated anti-spyware program is Spybot from safer-networking.org.
About File Sharing
File sharing programs like Aimster, Morpheus, and KaZaA, Bareshare etc. are expressly forbidden on the Resnet system. If these programs or other file sharing programs, or high traffic use caused by viruses are detected on your Resnet data port, you will be disconnected from the ResNet system.
Sharing music illegally and violating copyright is a clear violation of the responsible use policy for computing resources
page last updated 5/17/2013 3:41 PM