Please note: Dual Library Science/Health Studies applicants must also be accepted into the School of Library and Information Studies graduate program. Applicants will need to apply to both programs for admission. See the School of Library and Information Studies for the requirements for admission to that program.
Admissions to the Health Studies program is a dual process. Step 1 describes documents that need to be provided to TWU. Step 2 describes documents that need to be provided to the Health Studies Department. You must complete both steps before the deadline to be considered for admission into the program.
Step 1: Please submit the following Graduate School Materials to:
TWU Office of Admissions Processing
P.O. Box 425649
Denton , TX 76204-5649 Fax: 940-898-3079
- A completed Texas Common Application form which is available online at: http://www.applytexas.org
- Graduate School Application Fee (if applicable)
- Your GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores
- Official transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) from every college/university attended.
Step 2: Please submit ALL of the following Health Studies Department materials at the same time in ONE large envelope to:
Graduate Academic Advisor – TWU Department of Health Studies
P.O. Box 425499
Denton , TX 76204
- Admissions Checklist
- Two acceptable recommendations (pdf)
- Your current professional vita/resume
- A typed, double-spaced essay of no more than 400 to 500 words that addresses the following question: "What are your career goals, and how would you use the education your receive from your Health Studies master's degree to pursue those goals?"
Deparmental materials that do not arrive in ONE package or which are incomplete will be discarded.
To check your status and confirm receipt of materials, please contact the respective offices:
Office of Admissions Processing:
940-898-3076 or Toll Free 866-809-6130
ADM - 1st Floor
Health Studies Department:
If you would like to verify that we have received your packet, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard when you submit your materials.
Health Studies Master’s Degree Admission Criteria
Applicants will be evaluated for unconditional admission based on the following criteria:
- A preferred minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of bachelor's degree coursework as evidenced by official transcripts.
- A preferred minimum of 450 on the verbal portion, 400 on the quantitative portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and 4.5 on the analytic portion of the GRE; and for international students, a preferred minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Appropriate academic background and professional and/or volunteer experience for master's study in health studies as evidenced by a professional vita and CHES certification and/or other health related certificates, if applicable.
- Two acceptable recommendations completed within the past 12 months by faculty members, academic advisors, or employers.
- Ability to express concepts and ideas in writing as evidenced in a 400 to 500-word written essay that addresses the following question: "What are your career goals, and how would you use the education you receive from your Health Studies master's degree to pursue those goals?"
Departmental Deadlines for Graduate Application Submission
Master Program Application - Please note: We strongly recommend starting the process at least 60 days prior to the deadlines.
- November 1st for Spring semester
- April 1st for Fall semester
page last updated 1/19/2017 3:35 PM