What are the Benefits of Joining a Fraternity or Sorority?
· Fraternity or sorority members at TWU have the ability to achieve academic excellence through study hours, chapter scholarship programs, honor societies, and assistance by older members within his/her chapter.
· Studies have shown that members of Greek Organizations are statistically more likely to return to school the following year.
· The networking available through alumni relations and members of other chapters is extensive. One of the four pillars of the Greek community is brotherhood/sisterhood, which is the development of friends into brothers and sisters for life. Being a member provides your student with support through good times and bad as well as job opportunities and networking following graduation.
· Fraternities and sororities at TWU encourage members to get involved in their respective chapters, the Greek community, and in campus organizations beyond merely the social level. For our members alone, there are a number of leadership opportunities that can increase students’ achievement in academics, and enhance leadership, communication, and management skills.
· Community Service is a key component of our Greek community. Events are readily available for your student to maintain his/her contributions to the local community.
A Parent's Guide to Greek Life at Texas Woman's University
Sending a child to college can be a challenging and stressful time in a parent's life. While at Texas Woman's University, your child will encounter many opportunities to become involved outside of their classroom experience. It is important that you, the parent, be educated about the enriching experience that your son or daughter will find by being involved in a fraternity or sorority at Texas Woman's University.
What is being involved in a fraternity or sorority all about?
Knowing what you have seen on television and read in the local newspaper, the reality is that those are extreme cases of fraternity and sorority life. What the media will not tell you as a parent is that there are many life-long benefits to membership in fraternities and sororities. At Texas Woman's University, membership in a fraternity or sorority offers a small community of friends away from home. Additionally, national research has shown that involvement in fraternities and sororities increases students' chances of graduating from college. As a life-long member of a fraternity or sorority, students are offered the opportunity to develop as leaders, serve the local community, and focus on academics, as well as their careers, by connecting with local alumni members of Greek organizations.
My child is considering joining a fraternity or sorority, what advice should I give them?
Since joining a fraternity or sorority is a lifelong commitment, and there is an expense associated with membership, it should be a joint decision between student and parent. Consider sitting down with your son or daughter and research all of the organizations that are available to join. Utilizing local chapter and national websites are a great, convenient way to gather information. Feel free to contact students who are currently involved and their parents and ask them about their experience. In most cases, both students and parents will speak candidly about heir Greek involvement.
*Due to NPC regulations at TWU, between the end of the spring semester and through the end of Formal Recruitment, NPC sorority members may not be able to answer your questions outside of the info sessions and this is due to NPC rules. For any questions please contact thethe Center for Student Development, at 940-898-3626.
page last updated 8/27/2015 2:55 PM