(formerly the TWU Former Students Assn.)
- Organized in 1905
- a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Corporation
It's Official -
I'm feeling TWU Pioneer Proud and celebrating with TWU Alumni.
In April 2016, I accepted the role of President for the Texas Woman's University Former Students Association. At that time, the FSA membership also voted to change its name to the TWU Alumni Association.
It's now official! On Friday, August 19, 2016, the TWU Board of Regents approved the name change as well as an MOU to create a partnership with the University and the Association.
As of now, all TWU students who have earned a degree or completed a certificate program are automatically members of the TWU Alumni Association.
We have an Association that is cross-generational and diverse. My sense is this "blending and intentional effort to engage alumni and students, to exchange information, ideas, and resources, and to promote camaraderie, will cultivate the spirit and loyalty of alumni to support major initiatives of the University. Our focus will be on personal contact which will lend itself to an Association that is not only loyal but vibrant and productive.
TWU PIONEERS are 88,000 strong and can be found all over the world. There are many opportunities to get involved in the life of the university. I look forward to hearing from you.
Juanita Duenez-Lazo, '76 & '89
President, TWU Alumni Association
The key points of this partnership are:
- All graduates are considered members of our Association.
- Donations are welcome and accepted, and no dues are required.
- Chapters and other alumni groups will continue to exist and be supported by TWU AA
- Current Board members will provide leadership for the new structure.
- TWU AA may retain a physical presence on the campus, i.e., continuation of the current location on University Drive or other space as yet undecided.
- TWU will provide staff support and resources to the Association through the TWU Office of Alumni Relations and other entities.
- The TWU Foundation will accept and issue receipts for all donations made to the Association and serve as the fiscal agent to all funds including investments.
- The Foundation will fulfill reporting requirements to the IRS, donors, and the Association.
- TWU AA will retain responsibility for the administration and distribution of donations directed to the Association.
- All donor directives will be honored.
- To ensure the Association assets are protected, we now have a Memorandum of Understanding with the TWU Foundation, and the Memorandum is dated April 12, 2016.
- TWU AA will retain one seat on the Foundation Board of Directors as a full voting member.
As a result of the changes listed above, the name changed from the TWU FSA to the TWU Alumni Association. At the Annual Business Meeting on April 16, 2016, this resolution was presented and seconded; the vote was unanimous in favor of the name change. Appropriate paper work was filed with the State of Texas. The revision of the by-laws was mailed to the membership and approved as of August 1, 2016.
“To the Texas Woman’s University; forever to be true,
For everything you stand for, Maroon & White to you.
The friends we make while learning here;
Will last our whole lives through,
To the students and our School, we pledge ourselves anew.”
Support our mission - by making a donation. Any donation level help support our activities and raise funds for scholarships, we can't do it without you!