As a part of the Outdoor Adventure program, the climbing wall offers 2000 square feet of climbing space with routes for all skill levels. The wall is 30 feet at the highest point and offers routes for beginners and advanced climbers.
The wall also includes a slack line, a rappelling station that descends from the 2nd floor of the fitness center, lead climbing routes, and a 15 foot bouldering area that is semi-enclosed for those who are new to climbing and prefer to learn in a more private atmosphere. Various special events and trainings are held throughout the semester.
Hours of Operation
Monday- Friday: 5pm- 9pm
Requirements for all climbers
First Time Climbers: Must complete and pass a basic skills test before using the climbing wall.
Returning Climbers: Can challenge and pass the safety skills test each semester or attend an intro night for a refresher.
Weekly class schedule at the new Student Recreation Center Climbing Wall:
Intro Nights: Monday & Thursday, 6pm
This class is focused on basic climbing skills, safety and technique. A certified wall supervisor will guide you through a wall orientation, teach you proper climbing skills, and belaying technique.
Rapelling: Wednesday, 7:30pm
This class will instruct you on the proper skills necessary for rappelling. After completing this class, participants will have the opportunity to rappell the new 22 foot wall from the 2nd floor of the fitness center.
Bouldering/Slackline: Friday, 6pm
This class will focus on bouldering techniques needed for climbing below the 12 foot line. Slack lining involves walking across a taut piece of webbing that increases balance and team building skills.
Looking for a fun group activity? Come climbing!
GROUP NIGHT POLICIES
1. Reservations for group climbing must be made two weeks in advance. Groups may fill out the request form in order to begin their reservation. Click here for the request form.
2. Minimum of 4 participants is required.
3. Parental consent is required for anyone under the age of 18.
4. Recommended group size is 20 or less. Groups larger than 20 will be divided into groups of 10 and each will have one hour to climb.
5. All participants must sign a waiver before climbing.
6. Proper climbing attire must be worn while climbing or belaying. Proper attire includes: athletic clothing, no bare shoulders or midrifs and closed toe shoes.
7. Group leaders must have their group organized and ready prior to the scheduled time.
8. Group slots may be cancelled if a minimum of 4 climbers have not arrived by 15 minutes past the reserved time.
Group times are available during the following days/times: Monday-Friday 2pm-4pm and 9pm-11pm. Two week advanced reservations are required. Please contact Michael Wilson at MWilson22@twu.edu for more information or to reserve your space at the wall.
To request a date and time for the wall, please fill out the Group Request Form and return the completed form to Michael at MWilson22@twu.edu or the form may also be submitted to Michael's attention at the Fitness Center front desk. This form must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the requested date in order to be considered.
Once a date & time have been reserved, a confirmation email will be sent to the event organizer.
For more information:
Climbing Wall Coordinator
Fitness and Recreation
page updated 5/30/2014 2:20 PM