Verification Update 2013-2014
The U.S. Department of Education has instituted some changes to the verification process for the 2013-2014 award year. The 2013-2014 verification items include the same verification items that are in place for the 2012-2013 award year, plus two additional items as follows:
- High School Completion Status – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their high school completion status – high school diploma, recognized equivalent of a high school diploma (GED), or homeschool.
- Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their identity and resubmit a Statement of Educational Purpose, as was originally provided as part of the FAFSA submission.
What Does This Mean?
The U.S. Department of Education is moving to a more individualized verification process where only certain elements of the verification are performed on particular students. This means that TWU will not require the same documentation from each student. Instead, TWU will require only documentation that is relevant to the individualized verification. You will be notified by mail and email (to your TWU email address) of the individual forms you will need to complete. You may also see your required forms in your Pioneer Portal under the “My Documents” link. Only submit forms as requested by the Financial Aid Office. Additional documentation may cause unnecessary delays in processing your financial aid file.
Which Documents Do I Submit?
2013-2014 ACADEMIC YEAR - Summer 2013, Fall 2013, Spring 2014 - Forms will be available after February 1, 2013.
Click HERE for additional information regarding Tax Returns and the IRS Data Retrieval. Tax Returns are no longer accepted for verification purposes.
Forms that may be requested by the Financial Aid Office (only submit requested forms):
- Dependent Verification Worksheet
- Independent Verification Worksheet
- IRS Tax Transcript of 2012 student tax return* if the student did not use the IRS Data Retrieval (unchanged) when completing the FAFSA
- IRS Tax Transcript of 2012 spouse tax return* if the spouse did not use the IRS Data Retrieval (unchanged) when completing the FAFSA and if you are married and filed separate tax returns.
- IRS Tax Transcript of 2012 parent tax return* if the parent did not use the IRS Data Retrieval (unchanged) when completing the FAFSA and you were required to provide parental information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- SNAP Benefits Certification Form (Dependent Student)
- SNAP Benefits Certification Form (Independent Student)
- Child Support Certification Form (Dependent Student)
- Child Support Certification Form (Independent Student)
- Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose
- Verification of High School Completion (includes one of the following):
- A copy of the applicant’s high school diploma OR
- A copy of the applicant’s final high school transcript that shows the date when the applicant completed secondary school education OR
- General Educational Development (GED) Certificate OR
- An academic transcript of a student who has successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree OR
- For homeschooled students, a transcript or the equivalent, signed by the parent or guardian, that lists the secondary school courses completed by the applicant and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education OR
- A secondary school completion credential for homeschool (other than a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent) provided for under State law.
*There are a few cases where a student, parent, or spouse cannot utilize the IRS Data Retrieval option or obtain a copy of a tax transcript. Examples of these situations and acceptable documentation are listed below:
Students or Parents filing an extension:
- Submit a copy of IRS Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf )
- Submit a copy of all W2s
- If self-employed submit a signed statement certifying the amount of the individuals Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. Income Tax paid for tax year 2012
Students or Parents filing an Amended Return
- Submit a signed copy of IRS Form 1040X (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf )
- Submit a signed copy of the original return submitted to the IRS
- Copies of all W2s
Students or Parents are victims of Identity Theft
- Submit a signed copy of the 2012 IRS Tax Return
- Submit one of the following:
- Notification from the IRS that you might be the victim of identity theft
- A copy of IRS Form 14039 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf) that you submitted to the IRS.
- A copy of a police report related to the identity theft.
Note: All verification items must be submitted to:
Texas Woman's University
Financial Aid Office
PO Box 425408
Denton, TX 76204-5408
page last updated 11/18/2013 5:23 PM