skip to content

Work Study (CWS)

On and off-campus work study positions

Federal and State College Work-Study programs permit undergraduate and graduate students to earn from $2,610 to $6,090 annually on the basis of documented financial need.  If you are awarded employment through Work Study or regular student employment, you must obtain an employment permit.  In Denton, permits are available in Career Services, Human Development Building (HDB 200).  Permits are available in Dallas and Houston in the financial aid offices.  You must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. All student employees are paid monthly on the first working day of each month for hours worked in designated on-campus and off-campus jobs.  If you are awarded Work Study but fail to locate a Work Study job, you will not receive payment of the Word Study award.  Payment is based on actual hours worked at a Work Study eligible job.  Your wages for hours worked during a semester cannot exceed the awarded amount.  In some cases, you may be eligible to increase your students loans if a Work Study position is not available.  Contact TWU Career Services for available Work-Study positions.

How Do I Apply for Work-Study?

  • Complete a Financial Aid Certification and Information Form. The financial aid office staff uses this form to determine your financial aid budget (cost of attendance), the semester(s) you plan to attend, the number of credit hours per semester in which you plan to enroll, and also to identify other outside financial assistance you expect to receive.
  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1st each year at:
    • FAFSA on the Web
    • To sign your FAFSA electronically, you (and your parent, if you are dependent) need a U.S. Department of Education PIN.  If you do not have a PIN, you (and your parent) can each apply for one at Your FAFSA will be processed faster if you sign using a PIN.
    • The information you provide on the FAFSA is used by the Federal Processing Center to determine your eligibility for Pell Grant. These same results are then used by the TWU Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility for institutional grant funds, College Work-Study, and student loans.
  • Use previous year tax returns to complete the FAFSA.
  • If you provided an e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail from the federal processor with an electronic link to your Student Aid Report (SAR).  You will receive this e-mail approximately 3 days after you electronically submit your FAFSA to the federal processor.  NOTE:  To ensure that the e-mail is delivered to your e-mail inbox and not directed to junk or bulk mail folders, enter the originating e-mail address, in your e-mail account's address book. If you did not provide an e-mail address, a paper Student Aid Report (SAR) will be mailed to you at the address you provided on your FAFSA.  Review the information on the SAR and if your application has been selected for verification, refer to the verification process instructions.

Student Employment

Students may work on campus as student assistants under the Student Employment Program. Students must be enrolled for at least six credit hours and may earn up to $5,760 per academic year. This program is coordinated through the Career Services Office located in HDB 200 on the Denton Campus. Employment on the Dallas or Houston campuses is coordinated by the Financial Aid Counselor located on those campuses.

Proof of Identity and Employment Eligibility

In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, all employees hired after November 6, 1986, are required to supply documents which provide proof of identity and eligibility for employment in the United States. Examples of documents:
  • Valid driver's license
  • Valid Social Security Card
  • Certificate of United States Citizenship (INS Form N-456 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Alien Registration receipt card
  • United States passport

Career Services

Visit the Career Services web site for additional career counseling, student employment, job search assistance, employer service, career day, and cooperative education information.

page last updated 11/30/2016 11:26 AM