skip to content

TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIVERSITY Title IV School Code:  003646

The U.S. Department of Education offers a Web version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will need the following to complete the application.

  1. If you and/or your parents do not have a PIN number, you may want to request a PIN prior to completing the FAFSA on the Web. You and/or your parent can apply for a PIN by going to  The PIN number can serve as an electronic signature for both you and your parents. You and your parent(s) must each have a separate PIN. Once you receive your PIN number, be sure to keep it in a secure location because you will use this number to communicate with the Department of Education in the future.*
  2. Before completing FAFSA on the Web, make sure you have the following items:
    • Your Social Security Number.
    • Your driver's license number, if you have one.
    • W-2 Forms or other records of income earned in the previous year.
    • Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return.
    • Your Parent's (if you are dependent) Federal Income Tax Return.
    • Records of other untaxed income received during the previous year, such as child cupport received and taxed differed pension plans, or veterans benefits.
    • Current bank statements and mortgage information.
    • Business or farm records, if you or your parents own a business or farm.
    • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
    • Your alien registration card (if you are not a US citizen)
    • If you are a dependent student, you will also need:  1) Your parents' Social Security Number(s)  2) Your parents' income and financial records (as listed above) and 3) your parent(s)' date of birth
  3. If you do not have a PIN number, you will be required to submit signatures for you and your parents (if you are a dependent student) following completion of FAFSA on the Web.
  4. If you are a dependent student, your parents can also electronically sign your FAFSA with their own PINs. 

"Get a Pin."  To sign your FAFSA electronically, you (and your parent, if you are a dependent student) need a U.S. Department of Education PIN.  If you do not have one, apply now at  Your FAFSA will be processed faster if you sign using a PIN.  "Print the Pre-Application Worksheet." Some students find it helpful to complete the Pre-Application Worksheet found at prior to completing their online FAFSA.

"Save Your FAFSA As You Go." Save your application often using the "Save" Button at the bottom of the screen.  That way, if you lose your Internet connection, you can return to your FAFSA.  NOTE:  If you click the "Exit" button, you will not only close your application, but also erase all the information you entered since the last time you saved it.

"Get Help." Because there is FREE help available, you do not have to pay to get assistance filling out your FAFSA.  The "Need Help with this Page?" button at the bottom of every online FAFSA page will lead you to information to help you complete that page.  The "Help" button at the top of every screen has an index of help topics.  In addition, you can chat with a customer service representative directly over the Internet by clicking the "Live Help" button.  If you still need more help, call 1-800-4-FED-AID.

"Sign Your Application." If you have a PIN, you can electronically sign your FAFSA.  Otherwise, you will need to print the signature page and mail it in.  If you are a dependent student, your parent will need to sign your FAFSA as well.  Your parent can sign either by using his or her own PIN or by mailing a signature page.

"Submit Your Application."  Click the "Submit" button on the last page of the online FAFSA form.  You will be taken to a new page that confirms your submission and gives you a confirmation number.    


What You Can Do with Your PIN

  • Sign your FAFSA electronically.
  • Review and, if necessary, correct answers on your processed FAFSA.
  • Sign loan promissory notes electronically.
  • View information about your federal loans and grants.
  • Reapply for financial aid in the future.
  • Conduct other online business with the U.S. Department of Education.

page last updated 1/6/2015 2:23 PM