Texas Woman’s University was the first public university in Texas to offer MS and PhD degrees for marriage and family therapists. Our experienced faculty members foster the understanding and clinical practice of systemic family therapy theories.
The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Family Therapy contain the courses required by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists to take the national licensing examination after completion of the degree. Our graduates work in many settings, including:
- private practice
- social service agencies
- physicians’ offices and hospitals
- veterans’ programs
- faith communities
- corporate employee assistance programs
Deadline to apply for Fall admission is February 15th.
Interview day is February 27, 2015 for Fall 2015 admission.
Deadline to apply for Spring admission is September 15th.
Interview day is October 10, 2014 for Spring 2015 admission.
View a detailed list of career opportunities in Family Therapy.
What our current and former students say about this program
- M.S., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA of 3.25 for most current 60 hours of work)
- Facts about the Family Therapy M.S. degree [PDF]
- Ph.D., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA 3.50 for completed master’s and/or post-master’s work)
- Facts about the Family Therapy Ph.D. degree [PDF]
Program Information & Links
- Guidelines for creating a Letter of Intent [PDF]
- FTh Restricted Enrollment Clinical Courses [PDF]
- Requirements for Family Therapy Internship [PDF]
- Application for 1st Semester FTh Internship [PDF]
- Application for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Semester FTh Internship [PDF]
- Application for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF]
- Procedures for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF]
- Off-Campus Internship Information Form [PDF]
- Off-Campus Internship Agreement Form [PDF]
- FS-5363 Prepracticum Application [MS Word]
- FS 6253 Supervision in Family Therapy Application [PDF]
- Counseling and Family Therapy Clinic
- MS Writing Options (pre FA 2011 students) [PDF]
- Commonly Requested Forms
- TWU Graduate School
- American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Texas Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors
page last updated 7/24/2014 9:19 AM