Texas Woman’s University was the first public university in Texas to offer MS and PhD degrees for marriage and family therapists. Our experienced faculty members foster the understanding and clinical practice of systemic family therapy theories.
The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Family Therapy contain the courses required by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists to take the national licensing examination after completion of the degree. Our graduates work in many settings, including:
- private practice
- social service agencies
- physicians’ offices and hospitals
- veterans’ programs
- faith communities
- corporate employee assistance programs
Family Therapy MS Program Mission Statement:
The mission of the MS in Family Therapy program is to prepare family therapists who will take an active role in their community to enhance quality of life for individuals and families in a global society. Based on a systems approach to interactions between individuals, families, and larger systems, students are empowered to conduct effective family therapy and are introduced to the role, process, and implications of research.
Dates apply to master's and doctoral applicants.
Deadline to apply for Fall admission is February 15th.
Rescheduled interview day is April 24, 2015 for Fall 2015 admission.
Deadline to apply for Spring admission is September 15th.
Interview day is October 9, 2015 for Spring 2016 admission.
View a detailed list of career opportunities in Family Therapy.
What our current and former students say about this program
- M.S., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA of 3.25 for most current 60 hours of work)
- Facts about the Family Therapy M.S. degree [PDF]
(The average time to the M.S. in Family Therapy degree is 3 years.)
- Racial Composition and Student Achievement for the MS Program [PDF]
- Ph.D., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA 3.50 for completed master’s and/or post-master’s work)
- Facts about the Family Therapy Ph.D. degree [PDF]
Program Information & Links
- TWU Family Therapy Master's Handbook [PDF - revised 3/6/15]
(applies beginning Spring 2015)
- Guidelines for creating a Letter of Intent [PDF - revised 10/25/14]
- FTh Restricted Enrollment Clinical Courses [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Requirements for Family Therapy Internship [PDF - revised 12/2013]
- Application for 1st Semester FTh Internship [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- Application for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Semester FTh Internship [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- Application for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Procedures for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Off-Campus Internship Information Form [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Off-Campus Internship Agreement Form [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- FS-5363 Prepracticum Application [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- FS 6253 Supervision in Family Therapy Application [PDF - revised 3/12/15]
- Counseling and Family Therapy Clinic
- MS Writing Options (pre FA 2011 students) [PDF - revised 3/16/11]
- Commonly Requested Family Sciences Forms
- TWU Graduate School
- American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Texas Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists
- Off-Site Internship Evaluation [PDF - revised Fall 2014]
- Family Therapy Competency Document - Semesters 1 and 2 [PDF]
- Family Therapy Competency Document - Semesters 3 and 4 [PDF - revised 11/3/14]
Follow us on Facebook to stay informed!
page last updated 3/26/2015 12:24 PM