Dr. Lamar Muro • firstname.lastname@example.org • 940-898-2693
Major courses in this program consist of face-to-face and online formats.
Face-to-face courses are only offered on the TWU Denton campus.
The Counseling and Development program of the Department of Family Sciences is an exciting and dynamic area that offers professional training and development leading to a Master's Degree in Counseling and Development (MS). Students may choose to focus on:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling program
- Professional School Counselor program
- Dual degree in counseling and music therapy
have completed 2 years of teaching in a public or TEA
accredited private school.
Students with this degree are eligible for
- Licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) and/or
- Certification as a professional school counselor (K-12)
Why select our program?
- CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs) accreditation for both degrees (Community Counseling and School Counseling).
- Enjoy the strength of collaborating with students, including many nontraditional/returning students.
- Enjoy smaller class sizes, with more individualized attention and focus by faculty members.
- Attend evening and weekend classes to better accommodate working students.
- Discover a focus on faculty mentoring and advising.
- Benefit from innovative teaching strategies, including conference-based courses.
- Focus on innovative and creative counseling strategies, including music therapy and play therapy.
- Participate in the department’s on-site community-based clinic providing counseling services to the Denton, Texas area at a reduced rate.
How to apply
Applying to the Counseling and Development (C&D) program is a two-step process. Step one requires an application to the TWU Graduate School, while step two requires an “application process” to the TWU Department of Family Sciences C&D program.
- APPLY to the TWU Graduate School by going online to www.applytexas.org. Be sure to specify Texas Woman’s University as the target university, the semester and year you wish to begin taking classes, and Counseling and Development (MS) as the major.
- WAIT to receive your letter of acceptance or otherwise notified that you have been accepted. Once the application fee and all transcripts are received, it can take 4-6 weeks to process your application and receive your letter via U.S. Mail.
- CONTACT the Department of Family Sciences to register to attend the next Interview Day event. Interview Day is the time when the C&D faculty evaluate your candidacy as a major in the C&D program. It will consist of an opportunity to provide a writing sample, conduct an individual interview with faculty, participate in a mock group counseling session, and allow opportunity to ask questions and network with other applicants.
- WAIT for a decision from the C&D program concerning your acceptance. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive a decision after the Interview Day event.
- Upon acceptance, ENROLL in classes during early registration to ensure you get what you want. You should plan to take these courses during your first two semesters:
FS 5303 Orientation and Ethics
FS 5313 Counseling Theory and Practice
FS 5353 Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
FS 5443 Multicultural Counseling
- PLAN to attend a mandatory orientation during your first semester in the program. You will receive information at a later time.
- FINANCIAL AID information: Visit the Financial Aid website.
Interview Day Schedule
Deadline to apply for Fall admission is March 10th.
Deadline to apply for Spring admission is TBA.
Degree Plans and Requirements
Minimum 3.0 GPA over last 60 hours of coursework
Participation in Interview Day
School Counseling Deficiency Plan Certification option requires a prior master's degree (non-degree seeking option)
Degree Plans and Certification
- M.S. Counseling & Development: Focal Area of Interest: Clinical Mental Health Counseling [PDF - updated 3/31/2016)
- M.S. Counseling & Development: Focal Area of Interest: Professional School Counseling [PDF - effective PRIOR to Summer 2016]
- M.S. Counseling & Development: Focal Area of Interest: Professional School Counseling [PDF - effective AS OF Summer 2016]
- M.S. Counseling & Development: Dual M.A. in Music (Music Therapy) [PDF - updated 12/7/2015]
- C&D Deficiency Plan Certification - School Counselor [PDF]
- Annual Outcome Data Report 2016 [PDF]
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Complete necessary degree coursework
- Complete required clinical hours
- Successful completion of portfolio requirements (Certificate of Final Examination)
page last updated 3/28/2017 12:32 PM