Active Shooter Checklist
Emergency Notification Lockdown Presentation
- The Emergency Notification Lockdown presentation is availble for download here.
Secure Immediate Area:
- Close and barricade doors
- Turn off lights
- Close blinds
- Block windows
- Turn off radios and computer monitors
- Keep occupants calm, quiet and out of sight (away from windows)
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover/protection i.e. concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets (cover may protect you from bullets)
- Silence cell phones
- Place signs in exterior windows to identify the location of injured persons
Un-securing an Area:
- Consider risks before un-securing rooms
- Remember, the shooter will not stop until they are engaged by an outside force.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be attempted if it can be accomplished without further endangering the persons in the area
- Consider the safety of many vs. the safety of few
- Do not leave the room unless instructed by emergency personnel.
- Use Emergency 911
- TWU DPS 2911
- Know the locations of red emergency phones and outside Code Blue phones
- Be aware that the 911 system will likely be overwhelmed. Program the TWU DPS emergency line, 940-898-2911, into your cell phone for emergency use.
What to Report:
- Your specific location/building name and office/room number
- Number of people at your specific location
- Injuries and the number injured, type of injuries
- Assailant(s) location, number of suspects, race/gender, clothing description, physical features, types of weapons (long gun or hand gun), backpack, shooters identity, if known, direction of explosions from gunfire, etc.
- Objective is to immediately engage assailant(s)
- Evacuate victims
- Facilitate follow up medical care and interviews
page last updated 3/3/2015 2:11 PM