When Can I Begin the Doctoral Program?
By October 1, 2017, all materials required for admission to the 2018 doctoral cohort must be available for review by the Department of Dance. Therefore, the receipt of the application to the Graduate School and the receipt of all official transcripts in the TWU Admissions Office should take place approximately one month before the Department of Dance October 1 deadline to allow time for processing. The Department of Dance cannot review applications with missing information after October 1, 2017.
The low-residential Ph.D. in Dance is a cohort program in which students are only admitted to the program every other year to begin study in the summer of even years (summer 2018; summer 2020). Students enrolled in the program, including those who may choose to be in residence, comprise the “Doctoral Cohort” and work together with the faculty to create the doctoral learning community.
During the two years of coursework, all doctoral students must be continually enrolled, follow the prescribed sequence of courses, and attend all on-campus residencies.
No new doctoral students will be admitted to begin study in summers of odd years (summer 2015; summer 2017).
Application for admission to the Graduate School is made through the Office of Admissions Processing. More information about graduate study at TWU can be found on the TWU Graduate School website. Applicants should submit a completed application for admission to the Office of Admissions Processing and request that official copies of transcripts from all previous college work be forwarded according to the instructions in the application process.
STUDENTS SHOULD ALLOW AT LEAST ONE MONTH FOR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT PROCESSING TO BE COMPLETED. THIS MEANS COMPLETED GRADUATE SCHOOL APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ONE MONTH BEFORE THE OCTOBER 1, 2017 DEPARTMENT OF DANCE DEADLINE.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE STRONGLY URGED TO SUBMIT THE GRADUATE SCHOOL APPLICATION WITH REQUIRED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ON FILE AT LEAST 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE OCTOBER 1, 2017 DEPARTMENT OF DANCE DEADLINE. INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS SHOULD ALSO BE IN CONTINUAL CONTACT WITH THE INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION OFFICE CONCERNING PROCEDURES FOR VISAS AND CURRENT REGULATIONS.
Applicants must meet the general University requirements for admission to the Graduate School as set forth in the current Graduate Catalog and the Graduate School Website (see section entitled “Admission to the Graduate School”). The GRE is no longer required for admission to the Graduate School. In addition to these general requirements, admission to the Ph.D. program in Dance requires the following:
1. A master's degree in dance or a related field of study from an accredited college or university or equivalent professional experience demonstrated by a record of significant scholarly achievement (dancemaking and/or research and writing).
2. An academic record reflecting the ability to pursue advanced study and research in the field of dance.
3. Proficiency in written, verbal, and movement communication skills.
4. Experience in the field of dance to include teaching, performing, choreographing, and/or other related practice.
An interview is required for admission to the doctoral program, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview after the October 1, 2017 application deadline.
The deadline for all application materials to be received in the Department of Dance is October 1, 2017. All official transcripts must be processed by the Office of Admissions by that date. Students are strongly urged to have their materials into the Graduate School and the Office of Admissions Processing one month prior to October 1, 2017. The Department of Dance cannot accept application materials after this deadline.
International Students should immediately contact the Office of Admissions Processing/International Admission Requirements, concerning application procedures and the International Education Office/International Admissions, for information concerning visa requirements. They should be prepared to have their materials submitted for review and processing at least 3 months before the Department of Dance October 1, 2017 deadline.
Please send all application materials listed below electronically as email attachments to email@example.com. In the subject heading place “Doctoral Application Materials.”
The 3 required reference letters may be sent electronically by the referring author. However, if hard copy is more convenient, the letter should be mailed to:
Following are materials to be compiled by the applicant:
- Department of Dance Application Information Form (pdf)
- A curriculum vitae highlighting educational and artistic experience in dance.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or artistic professionals who can address your teaching, academic, and/or artistic preparation and potential for success in doctoral study. Please submit electronically as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A 2-page essay describing your interest and preparation for doctoral study (details for this essay are found in the Department of Dance Application Form)
- A sample of scholarly or professional writing (approximately 15 pages) such as a position paper, journal article manuscript or publication, conference presentation, in-depth critical analysis of dance practice, thesis chapter, or grant application.
- Apply to TWU (Required Graduate School Application)
If you have questions please e-mail the doctoral program coordinator: Dr. Rosemary Candelario.
page last updated 6/20/2016 3:09 PM