Career Possibilities for Criminal Justice Graduates
- Local, state, and federal government agencies
- Private businesses and organizations
- Police agencies as officers, detectives, safety or security officers
- Juvenile detention and probation officers
- Attorneys, Prosecutors, Judges
- Adult Probation Officers
- Correctional Officers
Selected Internet Sources
- TWU Career Services: A must for all CJ students at TWU. Check their website for information on services such as their career services listserv, credential registration on line, upcoming Career Days, information on their Career Counseling services, job search assistance, and links to a large set of job search web sites. While they can't find you a job online, their online information can help you help yourself.
- Criminal Justice Careers: A useful site for information on criminal justice career opportunities. http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/criminal-justice-careers
- Forensic Science Careers: A useful site for information on Forensic Science careers. http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/forensics-degree-career-center
- Career Opportunities: This page has some good basic information, lists of potential jobs in Criminal Justice, and some links to information about these jobs. http://www.rileyguide.com/protect.html#cj
- Criminal Justice Profiles: This site has a variety of information about careers in criminal justice, information about how to find criminal justice employment, and other information about criminal justice education. http://criminaljusticeprofiles.org
- Criminal Justice Programs: This is a comprehensive listing of criminal justice career and education information. http://www.criminaljusticeprograms.com
- Professional Organizations: This page has some links to professional organizations that may be of interest to those in the criminal justice field: http://www.mscd.edu/~cjc/resources/prof.shtml
- Careers in Criminal Justice: Good sites to learn about potential careers in criminal justice: http://www.legal-criminal-justice-schools.com/Criminal-Justice-Careers/Criminal-Justice-Career-Center.html or http://www.glencoe.com/ps/cj/general/careers.html
- Criminal Justice Salaries: This site offers information about possible salaries in the field of criminal justice: http://www.allcriminaljusticeschools.com/criminal-justice-resources/criminaljustice-salaries
- Criminal Justice Jobs: Links to a large number of job listings and career information: http://www.criminaljusticejobshelp.com
- Guide to Career Opportunities in CJ: Established by the Catholic University, this is a concise site with basic descriptive information about the nature of criminal justice careers, some possible careers and information about them. http://careers.cua.edu/handouts/criminaljusticecareers.htm
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: This is a basic reference for everyone interested in CJ careers. Revised every 2 years, the OOH contains information about what people do on the job, employment outlook for job seekers, typical salaries, and other basic information. http://www.bls.gov/OCO/
Higher Education: Graduate Schools and Law Schools
- Law School Directory: Law schools in Canada, the United States and Mexico are listed on this site: http://www.hg.org/northam-schools.html
- Graduate CJ Program Links: A set of links (divided by state) to graduate programs in Criminal Justice. http://www.gradschools.com/Subject/Criminal-Justice/85.html
- Master's Programs in Criminal Justice: This is a listing of master's programs in Criminal Justice. It can be found at http://www.criminaljusticeprograms.com/programs/masters-in-criminal-justice/
- Florida State University (School of Criminology and Criminal Justice): One of the largest programs in Criminal Justice in the US. http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/
- Local Graduate Programs in Criminal Justice: Local programs include:
Finding Criminal Justice Jobs
- Criminal Justice Careers On-line: An excellent starting place for job searches and career information. Contains links to information about careers in such diverse areas as corrections jobs, law enforcement jobs, and information on how to get jobs with federal agencies such as the FBI, information on state agencies, and help with resumes. This is an essential resource for people who are pursuing a criminal justice job, or simply wish to learn more about job opportunities in criminal justice. http://talkjustice.com/files/tj08.htm
- USAJobs: An important resource for any CJ major looking to work for the federal government. Updated regularly, it gathers listings from a huge variety of federal government agencies. http://www.fedworld.gov/jobs/jobsearch.html
- CopCareer: A useful source of information about law enforcement jobs, and also contains job listings. http://www.copcareer.com/
- Federal Jobs for Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement Majors: http://www.govcentral.com/education/articles/365-federal-jobs-for-criminal-justice-law-enforcement-majors
Useful Books About Criminal Justice Careers
- Goodman, Debbie J. and Ron Grimming. 2006. Work in Criminal Justice: An A-Z Guide to Careers in Criminal Justice. Prentice Hall.
- Stephens, W. Richard. 2001. Careers in Criminal Justice. Allyn & Bacon.
- Lambert, Stephen and Debra Regan. 2007. Great Jobs for Criminal Justice Majors. McGraw-Hill.
- Harr, J. Scott and Karen M. Hess. 2009. Careers in Criminal Justice and Related Fields: From Internship to Promotion. Wadsworth Publishing.
page last updated 11/25/2013 4:43 PM