skip to content

Do I have to find my own supervisor?

No. Your sponsoring educational entity is responsible for providing the required supervision for the fall and spring semesters.  The clinical faculty is responsible for setting up your summer externships and securing those supervisors.

What is required of a supervisor?

All school-based supervisors are required to attend an initial TETN supervisor training seminar and are required to attend TETN supervisor training meetings four times a year.  The initial training and meetings are available through the teleconferencing system.

Can I work during the summer?

You must reserve the hours between 7 am and 6 pm for practicum assignments. Many summer externships require 30-40 clinic hours per week for 8 or more weeks. In addition, you must reserve the hours from 3 to 8 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays for class nights. 

How much clinic time will be required during the normal school semester?

School semester clinic time will run approximately 5 ½ - 6 hours per week.

What is an educational entity?

Public schools, charter schools, and co-op schools in Texas are considered educational entities.

Who can I contact about practicum information?

Ms. Ginger White  and/or Ms. Paula Chance

Who can I contact about applying to TETN?

  • You must attend one of the information meetings prior to applying to TETN. If you have further questions after that meeting, please contact the TETN secretary, Sue Colton .
  • Incomplete application packets will not be considered by the admissions committee.

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Exam?

Yes. You must take the GRE and have the scores sent to TWU with your application to the graduate program. If your GRE was taken within the last 5 years, the Education Testing System may have a record of your scores. You may use older GRE scores as long as you can attach an official record of them. Be sure to take the GRE in time to assure that your scores can be submitted with your application. 

Can I be employed during the Graduate Program?

Yes. TETN was created to allow candidates to work as licensed assistants in Speech-Language Pathology in the public schools while they obtain their master's degree. 

Do I have to work as a licensed assistant in speech pathology while I am in TETN?

TWU does not dictate that you be employed. However, if you do work in your sponsoring district, you must hold an assistant's license. During the program, you will obtain your regular practicum hours in your sponsoring public school during the school day (fall and spring semesters.) You will obtain practicum hours in medical facilities during the summer. You must be available during the work day.

Can I attend TETN  if I don't intend to work for an educational entity in Texas?

No. This program is funded in part by a grant from the Texas Education Agency for the  purpose of ameliorating the shortage of SLPs in the schools of Texas. Sponsoring school districts (who contribute supervision and offer release time to attend class) typically require their sponsored student to remain employed in the public schools for a minimum number of years. However, the master's program prepares students to apply for Texas licensure and ASHA certification, which credential the graduate to practice in any SLP setting.

What are leveling ( prerequisite) courses?

If you hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than Communication Sciences and Disorders (or similar name), you must take basic prerequisite or “leveling” courses before you begin graduate work via TETN. Although you may be enrolled in  leveling courses when you apply, you must successfully complete these courses  before you can begin your graduate coursework.

How can I take leveling ( prerequisite) courses?

Leveling courses can be taken at TWU or other universities offering commensurate coursework. If you plan to take leveling courses at TWU you must apply to the university and the COMS department.  Leveling courses are offered online (via computer) with the exception of the final exam. TWU levelers will be required to go to their local Education Service Center to take the final exam for each course.

Where are the Education Service Centers?

Region 1 – Edinburg
Region 2 - Corpus Christi    
Region 3 - Victoria
Region 4 - Houston
Region 5 - Beaumont
Region 6 - Huntsville
Region 7 - Kilgore
Region 8 - Mt. Pleasant
Region 9 - Wichita Falls
Region 10 - Richardson
Region 11 - Fort Worth
Region 12 - Waco
Region 13 - Austin
Region 14 - Abilene
Region 15 - San Angelo
Region 16 - Amarillo
Region 17 - Lubbock
Region 18 - Midland
Region 19 - El Paso
Region 20 - San Antonio

page updated 9/16/2015 4:15 PM

Girl Scout Program

What does it take to communicate without speech? Learn about non-verbal communication and body language. More Information and Application Form (doc)

Like us on Facebook

Course Rotation Schedule (pdf)

Academic / Administrative Complaints & Appeals