- TASC (Texas Assessment of Sign Communication) this test is required of all pre-service teachers working in classroom where sign is used. Offered in April, and November, it should be taken the semester prior to student teaching.
- TExES (Texas Exam of Essential Skills) preservice teachers must take general educators exam and the Deaf/Hard of Hearing exam. These exams should be taken the semester PRIOR to student teaching. NOTE: Passage of these 2 exams certifies pre-service teachers of deaf to serve in deaf ed classrooms. These 2 exams do NOT make teachers "highly qualified" under "No Child Left Behind". In order to achieve this description additional certifications must be attained in the areas to be taught.
Registering for the TExES
To obtain an authorization to test, send an email request with your name, TWU student ID number and the name of the test you want to take to Linda Kobler or Brenda Wilson. Email requests for a test approval must be received by 2:00 p.m. on the registration deadline to obtain the approval by the day’s end. Once you’ve been approved, you’ll receive an email notification providing registration instructions. You must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program to be approved for an actual exam.
To register, go to www.texes.ets.org, select “Register” and follow the instructions provided. The Registration Bulletin on the ETS website will provide all the information you need to know about taking the TExES.
NOTE: An admission ticket is required each time you take a test. You may print your admission ticket from the online registration system
Copy of Master’s Degree Plan signed by faculty advisor (and a copy of a Deficiency Plan if the undergraduate degree was not completed at TWU).
- A minimum 3.0 overall grade point average on graduate transcript.
- Satisfactory completion of required coursework as established by the College of Professional Education.
- Satisfactory completion (as defined by the major department) of all coursework leading to degree and certification requirements, with the exception of student teaching.
- Must complete six hours of TExES exam preparation.
Must have taken all of the certification exams, and national certification exams, if applicable, prior to student teaching.*
- Email from Dr. Tamby Allman or Dr. Chad Smith must be sent to email@example.com stating student has met all departmental requirements to student teach.
* Students who have an Incomplete (I) on their transcript must complete a “Request for an Exception to the COPE Student Teaching Program” form and complete all of the course’s requirements during the student teaching semester. The form can be accessed through the PDC webpage, www.twu.edu/professional-development-center, under Forms & Handbooks.
**Students seeking Secondary and All-Level certification must meet the eligibility guidelines defined by their major department.
Out of State Students
Student must either:
- pursue teacher certification requirements from their home state or
- pursue Texas teachers certification through the TWU College of Education
page last updated 2/20/2015 9:44 AM