skip to content

What is the minimum GRE?

There is not a minimum GRE. However, entry into the program is very competitive and a higher GRE score will improve chances of admittance.  For the 2013-2014 academic year, students' average score on the new GRE was:  Verbal - 151, Quantative - 149, Writing - 4.

Is there a minimum GPA?

The graduate school requires a minimum of 3.0 and the average GPA for students is 3.6.

When is the information due?

February 1

Can I call and ask if my information has arrived?

Yes, you should check on your information by calling Michele at 940-898-2285

How many students apply and are accepted?

Around 300 apply and we accept 25-30 a year and half will start in the summer and half will start in the fall.

When will we find out if we are accepted?

We try to send out letters by Spring Break.

What are the on-campus program requirements?

You can find that information on the Program Requirements page.

What is the TETN venue?

It is a distance education SLP venue supported by TEA where students all across Texas are working as an SLP-A in a school  district which agrees to sponsor them in the program by providing a supervisor and letting them leave early to attend classes and meetings.  They do practicum at their school during the school year for 4 semesters and during 2 summers they do externships in hospitals/rehabs.  It takes 7 semesters to complete and the next cohort will begin in May of 2015 with applications due October 1, 2014.

What are leveling or prerequisite courses?

If you hold a bachelor's degree in a field other than Communication Sciences and Disorders (or similar name), you must take and pass with a grade of A or B basic prerequisite or leveling courses before you can begin graduate work.  Leveling courses may be taken at TWU or other universities offering commensurate coursework.  TWU has a program that requires 21 hours of coursework for students applying for the graduate SLP program.  If you have an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, then you do not need to take these courses.

How can I take leveling or prerequisite courses at TWU?

You must apply to the department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at TWU and send in 2 letters of reference.  You must send in your official transcripts to the Office of Admissions Processing along with applying to the University on as a transfer, post baccalaureate student.  To be admitted to the department, you must have a minimum GPS of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale for your last 60 hours of college work.  TWU prerequisite courses are offered online (via computer and Blackboard) with the exception of final exams which are offered at local Educational Service Centers.  Completion of leveling courses does NOT constitute automatic acceptance into the TWU SLP graduate program.

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

Yes, you must take the GRE and have the scores sent to TWU with your application to the graduate program.  If your GRE was taken within the last 5 years, the Education Testing System may have a record of your scores.  You may use older GRE scores as long as you can attach an official record of them. Be sure to take the GRE in time to assure that your scores can be submitted with your application (by January 1st).

Who should my letters of reference be from?

References should be someone who is familiar with the rigors of graduate SLP program and can speak to your ability to do well in such a program.  Ideal people will be teachers from undergraduate SLP courses, SLP supervisors, principals, special education directors or other SLPs who are familiar with your skills.

What is the deadline for applying to the program?

All application materials submitted to the department must be postmarked by February 1.   All materials submitted to Admissions Processing need to be submitted by January 1.

How many students are admitted into the program each year?

Each year we admit 25-30 students into the on-campus venue of the SLP program.  Approximately half of those students will begin in the summer and half will begin in the fall semester.

Do I have to find my own clinical practicum site/supervisor?

No- the program makes assignments for sites and supervisors to assist each student in acquiring the necessary clinical hours and competencies for treatment and assessment.

Can I work while attending the on-campus venue program?

It is very difficult to work while attending the graduate program full time.  During the program you will have classes 2-3 evenings a week while doing practicum two days a week during our first two semesters of the graduate program.   After that, you will be at your practicum site 3-5 days a week depending on the site.  Students who need to work while attending graduate school are encouraged to consider the TETN venue. 









page updated 9/16/2015 4:15 PM

Girl Scout Program

What does it take to communicate without speech? Learn about non-verbal communication and body language. More Information and Application Form (doc)

Like us on Facebook

Course Rotation Schedule (pdf)

Academic / Administrative Complaints & Appeals