Herbarium Use Policy
- The TWU Herbarium collection is dedicated to teaching, outreach, and research.
- Any person wishing to use specimens in the collection for the above purposes must contact Dr. Camelia Maier, Herbarium Curator, for permission to use the collection. Use of the Herbarium is by prior arrangement only and restricted to normal working hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday).
- Researchers using the TWU Herbarium are encouraged to include its name in articles and research grant proposals.
- Request for supervised use of the collection will be evaluated on an individual basis and the Herbarium reserves the right to charge fees for this service ($10.00 per hour). For plants brought or sent to the Herbarium for identification, a fee of $5.00 per plant will be charged. Fees collected are used for Herbarium maintenance.
- Persons working with the collection will be expected to fully understand its organization. The following rules apply:
- Specimens must be properly re-filed after use.
- Specimens are to be handled very carefully. The sheets should not be bent, broken, torn, or turned face down.
- Under no circumstances is material to be removed from a specimen or a specimen dissected without written permission.
- Loose plant material detached during use should be placed in an envelope or fragment packet on the same sheet. The Herbarium personnel should be notified that the specimen needs repair. Evidence of insect damage should also be reported.
- Specimens are not to be removed from the premises without proper loan authorization and forms (Loans of Herbarium Specimens).
page updated 3/3/2015 3:58 PM