Michael Bergel, Ph.D.
PO Box 425799
Texas Woman's University
Denton, TX 76204-5799
Office Location: GRB 223
Office Phone: 940-898-2471
Lab Phone: 940-898-2839
Teaching Area: Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Genetics
Research Area: Chromatin Remodeling in Cellular Stress Response, Cancer
|Postdoc||1997-2003||NIH, National Cancer Inst., Bethesda, MD, USA||Chromatin (Non-Histone Architectural Proteins and Histone Acetyltransferases)|
|Ph.D.||1987-1994||The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel||Cancer Biology, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics|
|M.Sc.||1984-1987||The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel||Genetics|
|B.Sc.||1981-1984||The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel||Biology|
Major Academic/Research Interest
My research is directed towards identifying novel chromatin-associated targets for cancer therapy and cancer prevention. The lab studies the cellular response to stresses (such as UV irradiation) and particularly focuses on the chromatin remodeling level. The rational is that understanding the mechanism, by which our cells repair DNA-damage caused by ultraviolet irradiation, can help in developing a more efficient generation of sunscreens.
Other projects in my lab focus on developing new anti-cancer drugs that target the function of chromatin and chromosomes. We also study the involvement of complexes of chromatin modifying enzymes in the division of chromosomes during Mitosis.
1. M. Subramanian, R.W. Gonzalez, H. Patil, T. Ueda, J-H Lim, K.H. Kraemer, M. Bustin, and M. Bergel. The nucleosome binding protein HMGN2 modulates global genome repair. FEBS J. (2009), 276: 6646-6657.
2. J-H Lim, K.L. West, Y. Rubinstein, M. Bergel, Y.V. Postnikov and M. Bustin. Chromosomal Protein HMGN1 Enhances The Acetylation of Lysine 14 in Histone H3. EMBO J., (2005), 24(17):3038-48.
3. M. Bergel, J.E. Herrera, B.J. Thatcher, M. Prymakowska-Bosak, A. Vassilev, Y. Nakatani, B. Martin and M. Bustin. Acetylation of novel sites in the nucleosomal binding domain of chromosomal protein HMG-14 by p300 alters its interaction with nucleosomes. J. Biol. Chem., (2000), 275(15):11514-11520.
4. K. Huppi, D. Henderson, D. Siwarski, J. Hochman, M. Bergel, and G. Tuchscherer. Generation of monospecific Peptide antibodies to DNA binding domain of p53. BioTechniques, (2000), 29(5): 1100-1106.
5. J.E. Herrera, K. Sakaguchi, M. Bergel, L. Trieschmann, Y. Nakatani and M. Bustin. Specific acetylation of chromosomal protein HMG-17 by PCAF alters its interaction with nucleosomes. Mol. Cell Biol., (1999), 19(5):3466-3473.
6. Y. R. Rubinstein, K. N. Proctor, M. Bergel, B. Murphy and A.C. Johnson. Interferon regulatory factor-1 is a major regulator of epidermal growth factor gene expression. FEBS letters, (1998), 431:268-272.
7. J.E. Herrera, M. Bergel, X.-J. Yang, Y. Nakatani and M. Bustin. The histone acetyltransferase activity of human CGN5 and PCAF is stabilized by coenzymes. J. Biol. Chem., (1997), 272(43): 27253-27258.
8. N. Mador, H. Falk, A. Panet, M. Bergel and J. Hochman. Variant mouse lymphoma cells with modified response to interferon demonstrate enhanced immunogenicity. Cancer Immunol. Immunother., (1997), 44:249-256.
9. M. Bergel, K. Bhatia, D. Siwarski, M. Gutierrez, J. Hochman and K. Huppi. Tumorigenic and non-tumorigenic (immunogenic) variants in a mouse T-cells lymphoma are associated with two distinct p53 mutations. Mol. Carcinogenesis, (1993), 8:221-227.
10. P. Lazarovici, M. Bergel, T. Hason, E. Rahamim and J. Hochman. Immunomagnetic separation and analysis of non-malignant variants and parental malignant mouse lymphoma cells. Mol. Recognition, (1991), 4: 143-149.
Courses and Teaching Responsibilities
Molecular and Cellular Biology (upper-level undergraduate and graduate level), and Genetics (graduate level)
BIOL 4813 Molecular and Cell Biology: Gene Expression (with Dr. Conrad-Webb);
BIOL 4811 Molecular and Cell Biology: Gene Expression -Laboratory
BIOL 4823 Molecular and Cell Biology: Genetics and Inheritance (with Dr. Conrad-Webb)
BIOL 6334 Advanced Cell Biology;
BIOL 6513 Advanced Molecular Biology (with Dr. Conrad-Webb);
BIOL 6734 Advanced Genetics (with Dr. Conrad-Webb)
page last updated 3/3/2015 3:58 PM