The 2015 Flickr Photo Album is now available at the link, and the winners have been announced!
Congratulations to all of our winners and participants for your hard work and wonderful cars!
Best Smelling Award ($50 Prize):
Team #73 “YHAC”
A'myrie Freeny, Yazmine Clark, Cedrianna Burns, Heaven Thomas from McCowan Middle School
Best Accessories Award ($50 Prize):
Steven Mason, Luke Bagg, Mandalyn Dumke, Kasey Wallace from Tannahill Intermediate
Most Unique Use of Materials Award ($50 Prize):
Lesley Muniz, Natalie Price, Karla Meneses, Kara Chidister from Lake Dallas High School
Best Theme Award ($50 Prize)
Team # 37
Haylee Byrd, Savannah Miller, Brandon Davila, Nicholas de Leon from Tannahill Intermediate
Fastest Race Time (4 tickets for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Texas Motor Speedway):
Team #12 “Sweet and Salty”
Kenzie Sullivan, Sarah Oellermann, Audrey Livingston, Chloe Livingston from Argyle Middle School
3rd Place ($100 Prize):
Team # 39
Landon Craig, Cameron Vieck, Hannah Ramirez, Jennifer Havens and Tannahill Intermediate
2nd Place ($200 Prize):
Team #9 “The Taco Truck”
Rhodes Marshall, Sydney Summers, Derrick Nipp, Ruddy Rodriguez from Alvarado High School
1st Place ($300 Prize):
Team #12 “Sweet and Salty”
Kenzie Sullivan, Sarah Oellermann, Audrey Livingston, and Chloe Livingston from Argyle Middle School
A special Thank You to our generous 2015 Sponsors:
TWU Marketing and Communication
Texas Motor Speedway
TWU Intercultural Services
TWU College of Arts & Sciences
TWU Department of Math & Computer Science
And many, many thanks to our 2015 Volunteer Judges and Pit Crew!
The Edible Car Contest is an exciting event that challenges DFW-area students in grades 6-12 to combine their creative ideas with principles of mathematics and physics. Students in teams of 4 (minimum of 2 female participants per team) will build small cars entirely out of edible materials to be judged in categories such as ingenuity, mobility, and design. The teams will then compete against each other for the fastest race times by rolling the cars down an inclined race track. Cash prizes totaling $600 will be awarded.
2015 Edible Car Contest Flyer available here (.pdf)!
- Application forms are now available! 2015 ECC Application Forms (.pdf)
- All applications and fees must be received by 5:00 pm, February 13, 2015.
- All applications and payments must be received complete by 5:00 pm, Friday, February 13, 2015. To be considered complete, applications must contain a release form for each team member and the team entry fee of $24. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Checks payable to Texas Woman's University. Please Note: A $30 fee will be charged for ALL RETURNED CHECKS Including electronic/web checks TWU processes all eligible returned checks through the Denton County District Attorney’s Hot Check Division. There will be an additional charge assessed by the Denton DA.
- Submit forms and checks or P.O.s to:
TWU Edible Car Contest
PO Box 425437
Denton, TX 76204
- You may also submit forms via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (940) 898-3366.
- Cash payment may be made in person to Anna Ryan (CFO 1213) or Rhonda Redfearn (CFO 1212) on the TWU Campus during the hours of 8 am - 12 pm or 1pm - 5pm on weekdays. The CFO building is the tall white building with black windows in the center of campus. Take the elevator to the 12th floor and our offices will be on the left.
- Online Payment is now available! Click this link to pay with a credit card.
- Application forms and payments of $24 per team must be received with confirmation prior to the event. Payment will not be accepted on the day of the event.
Rules, Deadlines & Judging Criteria
- The 2015 Edible Car Contest takes place between 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Friday, February 20th.
- Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 10:00 a.m. All teams MUST be checked in by the 10:00 am deadline. We strongly recommend arriving early.
- After check-in, students will have time to assemble or make adjustments to their cars at their team table before lining up for judging.
- Judging takes place between 10:00 a.m. and around 12:00 p.m. Then, there will be a short break (30-45 minutes), during which we will provide some refreshments for the students. Afterwards, the winners will be announced and will accept their prizes.
- Please note: although some refreshments will be provided, we recommend that students bring a sack lunch or visit one of nearby restaurants in Denton. Most on-campus restaurants will close by 1:30 p.m. on Friday.
Anna Ryan, Project Coordinator
email@example.com or 940.898.3325
Awards & Past Winners
page last updated 7/15/2015 11:22 AM