Preparing for a Study Abroad Trip - Prior to July 1
- Report travel for the coming academic year no later than July 1, prior to the planned travel using the Liability Insurance Form for Study Abroad Trips [pdf].
Four Months Prior to Class Registration
- Verify each student’s GPA, academic standing, financial status, and compliance with all travel policies. Faculty leaders may seek the assistance of the Office of Student Life and the Bursar’s Office for academic standing and financial status information. Documentation of eligibility should be retained in the department.
- Verify class has met the minimum enrollment requirements.
- Complete and submit the following required Study Abroad Trip Information Form [Word] with signatures prior to class registration as outlined in the Study Abroad Forms Calendar [pdf].
NOTE: Previous required forms have been consolidated into one form to better serve you. (THECB Annotated List of Proposed Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Courses, TWU Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Courses Brief Justification Form with Trip Itinerary, Country Codes for Phone Numbers, THECB Certification Form for Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Courses)
One Month Prior to Departure
- Submit the following to the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology 1 month prior to departure and retain copies in the academic department:
- A list of all participants and emergency contact phone numbers for each participant.
- The Study Abroad Application Form [Word] must be filled out for each participant (credit students and non-credit travelers, faculty, and staff). The form now includes a criminal history section.
NOTE: Previous required forms have been consolidated into one form to better serve you. (TWU Application for Out-of-State and International Studies, The State of Texas Participant Release Form, Emergency Medical Treatment Form, Photo Release Fom)
- If non-credit travelers are allowed to join the study abroad course, they must each pay a liability insurance fee of $90. Each non-credit traveler must pay online or submit a liability insurance payment form and fee to the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology located in Stoddard Hall, room 313. The form and fee may also be mailed to Texas Woman's University, Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology, PO Box 425649, Denton, TX 76204-5649.
- Online Payment
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express are accepted.
- Non-Student Liability Insurance Payment Form [pdf]
- Payment may be made with a cashier's check or money order only when using the liability form.
- Personal checks and cash are not accepted.
- If paying with a cashier's check or money order, please make payable to Texas Woman's University.
- Online Payment
- Complete a funds transfer (IDT) prior to departure to cover the fee assigned for liability insurance for all traveling faculty or staff. This can be paid from course fees or other accounts. The IDT to cover TWU employees per trip should be sent to account number 11.400.05.4511, object code 7204. Contact TLT for the fee amount. Study Abroad Liability Insurance IDT Example [jpg]
- Complete an online risk management orientation [pdf] offered by the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology prior to first travel and repeat training every 2 years.
- Arrange for malpractice insurance in the destination country for clinical/ therapy courses which require it. Clinical courses for which malpractice liability insurance would be required at TWU must not be scheduled unless liability insurance can be found, purchased and documented with notification of Undergraduate Studies.
- Offer a safety orientation for all trip participants prior to departure.
One Week Prior to Departure
- Distribute emergency management plan to all travelers prior to departure. All participants must carry emergency contact cards received from the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology which include the TWU emergency number and email, the embassy/consulate number, the faculty cell number, and the number for the travel agency/provider or foreign institutional partner.
During the Trip
- Follow the TWU emergency plan. TWU Police are the primary contact and may be reached at TWU (940-898-2911). TWU Police will contact the designated office where responders will contact family, etc. and other responders as needed. An emergency email address is available for use when telephones do not work: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Implement all TWU policies while traveling abroad. Faculty shall have the authority to dismiss a student from the course/trip for serious violations of the TWU code of conduct found in the Student Handbook or instructions from the faculty member.
- Do not leave any student behind or unattended.
- Be supported/ assisted by a second TWU employee unless an exception is approved by the Provost.
Travel Warning and Alerts
- Monitor State Department Travel Warnings before and during travel and comply with TWU policy regarding trip cancellations. If a Warning is issued before or after the trip arrangements have been made or after the group has departed, the trip must be cancelled. Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff.
- Monitor State Department Travel Alerts and notify participants if there is a Travel Alert issued so that participants can decide if they want to cancel. (It is highly recommended that ALL travelers purchase Travel Agency Cancellation Insurance). A Travel Alert is issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions, generally within a particular country, that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events are examples of conditions that might generate a Travel Alert.
page last updated 12/4/2013 2:09 PM