- Alabama Commission on Higher Education - Complaints for out-of-state institutions are referred to the licensing agency Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (ADPE) for response. For in-state institutions, contacts are posted to the ACHE website.
- Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education - Office of Private School Licensing Division
- Colorado Department of Higher Education
- Colorado Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools
Delaware Department of Education - The first step in resolving student or other complaints or grievances is to attempt to resolve the matter directly with the administration of the involved institution under established institution complaint or grievance procedures. If that fails, the student may contact the Delaware Higher Education.
District of Columbia
Illinois Board of Higher Education - Institutional Complaint Hotline: 217-557-7359.
Kansas Board of Regents
Louisiana Board of Regents - For proprietary schools, the complaint procedure appears on the Board of Regents website. For the academic degree granting institutions, Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney Generalís Office at 1-800-351-4889.
Maine Department of Higher Education - Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated. For more information call 207-624-6846.
- Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
- Mississippi Commission on Proprietary School and College Registration - Student Complaint Form [pdf]
MissouriMissouri Department of Higher Education - Complaint Resolution Policy [pdf]
- Nebraska Department of Education, Private Postsecondary Career Schools
- Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
- New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Center for Occupational Employment Information - No information available
- New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education
- New York Office of College and University Evaluation
- New York Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision, New York State Education Department
- North Carolina Community College System, Office of Proprietary School Services
- The University of North Carolina Board of Governors - If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institutionís grievance procedure, the individual may file a complaint with the following office: Post-Secondary Education Complaints, c/o Assistant Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies, University of North Carolina General Administration, 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688, telephone (919) 962-4558, firstname.lastname@example.org. The individual may contact UNC General Administration for further details. [Complaint Form - pdf]
- North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education - Currently complaints are filed with the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education (CTE). Please call 701-328-5570 for more information.
- North Dakota University System - The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education has delegated to North Dakota University Systems (NDUS) college and university officials authority and responsibility to resolve student and other complaints. For more information please contact Tanya Spilovoy, D.Ed, Director of Distance Education and State Authorization, 1815 Schafer St., Ste. 202, Bismarck, ND 58501-1217 or email email@example.com.
- Ohio Board of Regents - The agency does receive student complaints. Students are encouraged to try to resolve their issue through their institutionís formal grievance procedures. If the studentís issue is not resolved through this process, the agency may then contact the institution on the studentís behalf and request that institution work with the student to resolve the issue. If the grievance involves an issue that violates the agencyís standards for authorization, the agency would contact the institution to determine the severity of the issue and what agency action would be taken.
- Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools
Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education - Current and prospective student complaints are handled through the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believes the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on the student's behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if the issue has been resolved or adequately addressed. Please call OSRHE at 405-225-9141 for more information.
Oklahoma Board of Private Schools - A form is available by request to the Oklahoma Board of Private Schools (OBPVS) staff, but is not required. Unless a safety or other issue requiring an in-person investigation is alleged, a student complaint will be accepted and sent to the institution for a response that may then be forwarded to the complainant for further input. Please call OBPVS for more information at 405-528-3370.
- Oregon Office of Degree Authorization - All complaints about schools under ODA regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by the Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Written or email complaints are accepted. When a complaint is received, the information is first evaluated to substantiate its relevance to Oregon rules and statutes. If the complaint appears to have merit or indicate non-compliance on the part of the school, the school is contacted to request information regarding the case. All correspondence is kept in the schoolís file. ODA will continue to mediate between the student and the school until ODA receives an indication that the complaint is unfounded or resolved. For more information call 503-947-5977.
- Oregon Department of Education - Private and Career Schools Office
Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher Education [email: RA-COLLUNIVSEMINFO@state.pa.us or call (717) 783-8228]
Puerto Rico Council on EducationPuerto Rico Council on Education [Please call 787-641-7100 for complaint information.] South Carolina Commission on Higher Education [Complaint Form pdf]
South Dakota Secretary of State Office - Complaints are handled by the South Dakota Office of the Attorney General, 1302 E. Highway 14, Suite 1, Pierre, SD 57501-8501. You may call 605-773-3215 for more information.
Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Division of Postsecondary School Authorization - The investigation and further review of complaints will occur in accordance with the following provisions: Complaints shall be signed and submitted through hand delivery, mail, electronic mail or facsimile. Commission staff will investigate all written complaints. Any named institution and/or agent will receive a copy of the complaint and be provided an opportunity to respond to all allegations contained in the complaint. As part of the investigation process, Commission staff may work with the complainant and the named institution and/or agent to effectuate a settlement. Following the completion of the investigation, Commission staff will provide to all parties written findings and conclusions, including any determinations with regard to the complainantís receipt of a refund or other monetary relief or the assessment of a fine or other adverse action. The written findings and conclusions will contain a date by which an aggrieved party may submit a request for further review by the Executive Director as provided for in Rule 1540-01-02-.02(2)(b). For more information, please call (615) 741-0662.Utah Division of Consumer Protection
- Washington Student Achievement Council - Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360-753-7869.
- Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
- West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
- West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College Education - For complaints, please contact the WV Council for Community and Technical College Education, 1018 Kanawha Blvd., E. Ste 700, Charleston, WV 25301 or call 304-558-0265.
Board of Higher Education - No information available
Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
Commissioner of Education - No information available
Federated States of Micronesia
Department of Education - No information available
Board of Regents - No information available
Republic of the Marshall Islands
Scholarship Grant and Loan Board - No information available
Republic of Palau
Bureau of Education - No information available
Department of Education - No information available
*Based upon the SHEEO (State Higher Education Executive Officers) ďCompendium of (State Authorization) Laws and Regulatory Practices,Ē this summary was created with support from WCETís (WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies) State Authorization Network. SHEEO and WCET collaborated in directing the work of NCHEMS (National Center for Higher Education Management Systems) in gathering, updating, and compiling the information.
page last updated 6/22/2016 11:09 AM