Save the Date! Friday, March 27; 10 a.m.
More details and registration will be coming soon.
These offerings, specifically for graduate assistants, focus on promising practices using Blackboard. Topics covered in these two hour workshops include (but are not limited to):
- Understanding the instructor and student views
- Posting and managing multimedia content
- Collecting and managing assignments
- Understanding and using Grade Center
- Communicating with students using a variety of tools
- Facilitating discussion and collaboration
- January 8 | 1 – 3 p.m. | ACT 603 | Registration deadline: January 6; 5 p.m.
- January 13 | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. | ACT 603 | Registration deadline: January 9; 5 p.m.
- January 22 | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. | ACT 603 | Registration deadline: January 20; 5 p.m.
These offerings, specifically for adjuncts and teaching assistants, focus on promising practices using Blackboard as the Instructor of Record. Topics covered in these two hour workshops include (but are not limited to):
- Posting content using a variety of tools
- Developing e-communication practices
- Designing and managing discussion, collaboration, and group work
- Organizing Grade Center
- Creating and managing assignments and assessments
- January 9 | 1 – 3 p.m. | ACT 603 | Registration deadline: January 7; 5 p.m.
- January 14 | 9 – 11 a.m. | ACT 603 | Registration deadline: January 12; 5 p.m.
- January 22 | 5 – 7 p.m. | ASB 105 | Registration deadline: January 20; 5 p.m.
All Dallas faculty, adjuncts, staff and GAs are invited to attend the following training events. These trainings are offered jointly by the Office of Technology and the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology.
Registration is not required. All trainings will be in IHSD Room 6700 unless otherwise noted.
January – Getting Started this Spring
- Launch Your Course/Open Lab | January 7 | 2 – 3 p.m.
- What’s New in 2015/Open Lab | January 12 | 12 – 1 p.m.
February – Pedagogy
- Active Learning: Using Storytelling Techniques | February 16 | 2 – 3 p.m. | Online via Bb Collaborate
Access the live presentation here.
March – Academic Integrity
- Using Rubrics for Objective Grading | March 9 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Respondus Lockdown Browser | March 23 | 12 – 1 p.m.
April – Wise Words
- Recording Lectures | April 13 | 2 – 3 p.m.
- Bb Collaborate & IM Office Hours | April 27 | 2 – 3 p.m.
May – Managing and Preparing for Student Success
- Tracking Student Performance | May 4 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Getting Ready for the Summer Semester | May 18 | 12 – 1 p.m.
All Houston Faculty, adjuncts, staff and GAs are invited to attend the following training events. These trainings are offered jointly by the Office of Technology and the Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology.
Registration is not required. All trainings will be conducted online through Blackboard Collaborate unless otherwise noted.
- Blackboard Open Lab | January 13 | 12 – 1 p.m. | Bb Collaborate and Room 4115
- Blackboard New Features | January 16 | 1 – 2 p.m.
- Respondus Test Generator & Lockdown Browser | January 21 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard Collaborate – Basic | January 28 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard Collaborate – Advanced | February 3 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard Blogs/Wikis | February 10 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Explore Google Apps | February 12 | 1 – 2 p.m.
- Blackboard Rubrics | February 17 | 1 – 2 p.m.
- Respondus Test Generator & Lockdown Browser | February 25 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard Open Lab| March 3 | 12 - 1 p.m. | Bb Collaborate and Room 4115
- Blackboard Collaborate - Basic | March 10 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Poster Design Basics | March 24 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard: The Grade Center and Course Reports | March 31 | 1 – 2 p.m.
- Respondus LockDown Browser | April 8 | 1 – 2 p.m.
- Blackboard Collaborate – Plan | April 23 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- Blackboard: Getting Ready for Next Semester | April 28 | 12 – 1 p.m.
These Live to the Desktop presentations will be conducted online in Blackboard Collaborate. Registration is not required.
Accommodation Features for General Productivity
January 29 | 2 – 3 p.m.
Come learn about browser settings and extensions, operating system features, keyboard shortcuts, and application-based features. See how accessibility features in common tools can benefit anyone.
Accommodations for Online Students
February 18 | 10 – 11 a.m.
This Live to the Desktop will feature accessibility features found in Blackboard and other university supported tools. Presenters will demonstrate testing exceptions, inserting captions and alternative text, and using the Content Editor to format text for accessibility.
Issues in Accessibility When Using Third-Party Tools
March 25 | 2 – 3 p.m.
This Live to the Desktop will feature general information on issues impacting the accessibility of third-party tools. Presenters will focus on how to locate and interpret information pertinent to accessibility considerations.
Enhancing Your Courses with Google’s Gadgets
April 9 | 10 – 11 a.m.
April 15 | 2 – 3 p.m.
Web-based word processing, group note-taking, surveys and data collection, portfolio building, file sharing, peer-reviews, social networking, instant messaging, and video calls. TWU students have access to Google Apps that allow them to do all these things and more. This presentation will explore a few of the ways that Google Apps might be used for both face-to-face and distance courses. Presenters will also provide a tour of resources devoted to using Google apps for teaching and learning.
To schedule a workshop for your department or program, contact the TLT group at 940.898.3409. The TLT group also sends information on all TLT events via email.
The TLT group also sponsors several special events for the TWU community. Each fall, the Online Educator Symposium brings together faculty and others to discuss teaching in the online environment. During the spring semester, TLT sponsors the Academic Success Series (a lecture and/or workshop session followed by two online sessions on related topics). During the summer, several TLT sponsored events take place. In June, invited Teaching Assistants can participate in the PILOT program. This four-week course covers basic concepts for teaching online and F2F for Teaching Assistants. The Pioneer Teaching and Learning Academy also convenes in June. A select group of faculty members and mentors attend a three day institute on teaching and learning and work through the year to explore some aspect of teaching. In July, the Online Faculty Development Program is offered for new TWU faculty members. This program covers course development and pedagogical concepts for teaching online.
page last updated 12/17/2014 11:55 AM